El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I picked up my camino, I discovered a busted heater core and a rain leak. I've pulled out the entire interior, dash included, to check floorpans. They ended up not being too bad, but its been sitting covered for a couple weeks and I keep walking out to find damp floorpans. I'm guessing its condensation, but wanted to see if you guys have had any similar problems. I'm about to POR-15 the girl, but didn't want the dampness to get in the way. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
On the 5th gens,, when I get a new project,, I have the front & rear glass pulled and resealed,, also check your seal around the heater/AC box,, and look at factory seam sealer and poke around,, I have found rust holes under seam sealer,, I am assuming the water issue is on your 70 Camino?? Matty man:happy:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have an 83 and seem yo have an issue with dampness in the car. I, like you, have checked everything and cannot figure out where it us coming from. The suggestion of the rear window seal is something I need to look at. I don't remember it looked bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ed,, on your 5th gen I would, and it is just what I do,, have the front & rear glass pulled and resealed,,, if it anit leaking yet,, it will be,,, Matty man

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Good point Matty Man. I just checked my quarter window felt, passenger side, and they are badly cracked. I am almost sure that where it is leaking. The window felts and upper window seals have all been replaced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
My bed leaked so bad the boots behind the seat looked like mini-swimming pools after a good rain. Ran a bead of clear silicone around the bed seam and fixed that annoying issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I once had a 69 El Camino and had same Issue, come to find out my Driver Side Vent Window was not sealing as tight as it should have been and also found that my Smugglers Box behind the Drivers Seat had a small crack in it and also wasn't sealed properly, so in Rainy Weather it would get VERY Humid inside and drips of water would fall from everywhere!! I corrected everything I had found and it no longer dribbled water everywhere on the Inside. Also a quick note: I agree with Everyone about pulling the Window Trim and Looking cause the 68 thru 72's that I have owned had issues with small rust holes underneath the Front Windshield Trim above Driver and water especially while driving in the rain would come In there as well. You don't know it's there until it's too late and you find yourself with a wet crotch while driving!! lol. Good Luck with it and Hope you find the Issue. :shock:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Does that year model have a smugglers box? Is it sealed well? My 77 was getting a lot of water in through the lid. PO error.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's no evidence of water in the smugglers box at all. a previous owner had the car rhino lined and sealed in the bed. The main areas of condensation in mine is passenger side footwell. I found a good bit of surface rust under the drivers seat, but it hasn't been collecting water that I've seen. Maybe it's a previous problem that was addressed. :dontknow: I'm thinking the condensation in front may be from the leaky heater core and holes the previous owner/redneck drilled in the firewall. I'll hopefully be able to hose it down this weekend and do a second check.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine, turned out to be the vent window molding on the passenger side. Once I replaced both sides the condensation inside went away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I narrowed it down to leaking in from the rear. I've pulled the rear glass to only find very minor pitting and surface rust, no holes at all!. Only thing I can think is the sealant on the bottom of the glass wasn't completely laid down to the metal/glass. I could see the water flowing down from the glass area whe it wasn't covered. Any more ideas?:poke:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Damp Floor

I had the same problem in my '87 on the passenger side beneath the heater. In looking around, curiosity made me take the screen off the top of the heater box, located right below the windshield on the passenger side, under the hood. Apparently, things like pine needles and dirt can slip underneath the metal trim at the bottom of the windshield and bypass the screen altogether. With the screen off, I reached into the box and found about 1 1/2 inches of dried mud and pine needles which completely closed off the little flapper door on the drain that lets rain water drain out of the heater box under the hood near the rear of the inner fender. I dug all the crud out and got the flapper clear and working. I the poured a pitcher of water through the screen for a test and was very happy to see it all drain out under the hood and not through the heater box and onto the interior door, where it had been going when the drain was plugged.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
as said, it is common for the rear glass to loose the seal to the butyl/rope seal,,
the calking is what actually makes the waterproof seal..

the urethane caulk seal with out the rope is the new way, its much better..
the window is glued in with the urethane..

:texas:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts