El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for some help. The El Camino's interior lights should come on when I pull the headlamps. The headlamps come on and work fine, but my interior lights do not. I found out the fuse was blown, so I replaced it. When I tried with a new fuse, it worked for about two seconds and then went out again. Tried it two more times and it did the same thing. It does have aftermarket gauges with lamps in them but im not sure they are the issue, it used to work perfectly. I would think there is probably a short somewhere, but I don't know. If it is a short, I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
By your description I am assuming you mean dash lights.

You may have a faulty light switch.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
By your description I am assuming you mean dash lights.

You may have a faulty light switch.
OR a short on the brown wire from the switch.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the inst lps fuse blowing. Tried again today, although I'm now officially done throwing fuses at it haha.

When I put the fuse in, key on engine off, it works perfectly. Cluster lights up, my aftermarket gauges light up, dimmer works perfectly for both. I then turn them off, and start the Elky. While running, I pull the switch. It lights up for about a second, then they go out. Shut it off, pull the fuse and it's blown.

I think the switch is okay because it works great without the car running, but once it is running, it blows the fuse.

:dontknow: Not sure what to do. After work tomorrow I'll dig into it more I suppose.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
thats a head scratcher Nugget,strange..

find the grey wire that comes from the inst.fuse/fuse box, and trace it down,,
you may have to seperate some of the legs on that circuit to narrow it down..

any thing else acting weard/strange??
if the preveious owner did any creative wireing?? you might start there..:texas:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that's what I'm saying haha!

I have work and school everyday until Thursday so I probably won't get to it until then.

Actually I now have a tail lamp/turn signal out, but it was happening before that. Other than that no it's been fine. The previous owner was my grandfather and he had it working great for a few years now. I'd ask him but he's out of town on vacation so I'm not really sure if he ever had any issues.

I'll tear her apart Thursday and report my findings! Thanks for your help JJ! :nanawrench:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts