El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 El Camino I blew some fuses putting in my radio and replaced them plus put one that wasn't their now the light in my heat and air control and my wiper switch wont turn off they stay on and is killing my battery any suggestions on how to fix this

Sent from my LG-P509 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well is it possible your lights fusisnt in an ignition hole? If nit they will always stay on.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
It's possible that when installing the radio some wires got crodssed, sending 12V down the Grey wire at the radio. This wire is the "Light" wire for the radio, but if voltage is on this wire it will send power back to all the other lights. I would check the wiring one more time, as the combination of blowing fuses and dash lights on points in that direction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK ill give it a shot to see and get back with y'all

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And they are not always blowing the fuses blown one time when installing ain't blown again just figuring out why my lights wont go off now thanks for the diagram maybe I put a bigger fuse in where it shouldn't be

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I pull fuse for the lights and its fine but I like having interior light does any one know how to fix this problem

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
On my '66 Gen2 the factory overhead interior light and the 2 underdash courtesy lights that were installed have 12 volts to them all the time. The door jamb switches provide an Isolated Ground which makes the powered lights come on.

So I wonder if you are actually somehow putting power to a lead that should be or is grounded, therefore blowing fuse? :dontknow:
When the courtesy lights were first installed, they stayed on all the time until this Isolated Ground thing got figured out, now my footwells light up so nice when the door opens... the headlight switch is also providing a ground for courtesy lights too.

Just a thought, I am by no means a mechanic or auto wiring expert. :beer:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would I find the ground to see if its working right I really don't know **** bout electrical stuff I just pulled the fuse out so it will stop killing my battery

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Your ground should be coming from a single wire from the door jamb switch, usually white wire I believe. Also, 1 of the leads off your headlight switch should also be a ground that is also white and gets 'closed' when you rotate the switch handle all the way (like when you dim or brighten your instrument lights) - all the way usually turns on the courtesy light.

Do you know anyone that owns a volt/ohm meter and do you own a simple electric test light?

The other ground is the wire coming from the door jamb switch, you can use the volt/ohm meter to verify continuity with the car body(ground) which when you open the door, the jamb switch completes the circuit between the wire and the body - thus producing a ground that is connected to the light.

You would use the test light to verify which wire into the courtesy light has power all the time, which it should have once you put that particular fuse back in, that way the lights come on when you open the door and provide a ground to your light.

Sounds very complicated I know, and is probably just my poor explanation.

Do you have any other members nearby or just someone that generally knows about mechanics and auto electrics?

Also, I have seen other members on this forum that have a knack for explaining things very simply. I've finally understood things that have been unclear to me for years.

HOPEFULLY, someone else will read what I've said and either verify that I'm telling you correctly or be able to explain it better.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
thats a purdy good explanation John,, but i'm with Mike..:texas:

sounds like he tied something to the grey dash light (inst.lps) wire..:dontknow:

Kyle did you connect anything to the grey wire?? if so?? disconnect it..

which fuse??

did you try this?
I would check the wiring one more time, as the combination of blowing fuses and dash lights on points in that direction.
or this
maybe,, disconect each new wire to the radio,, one at a time,, see which one makes a difference??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I'm a mechanic I've just never done electrical it's not in my field of work unless I am testing fuses after someone messed up on a battery..... and I believe I connected that gray wire where the pink wire should of went so that gray wire don't connect to anything? ??????

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
The GM wiring supplement for my 82 makes it look like GRAY wires are used for instrument cluster lights and that would include the lighting for the hvac control panel and probably the factory radio. If you look at schematics that the malibu racing site listed above has online, you'd see about 5 or 6 different leads of Gray wire going to each bulb inside the instrument cluster.

To me, that means they would only be illuminated if the 5amp fuse for INST was installed and only when the lights are on.

So it wouldn't be good for anything on the aftermarket radio. It should be illuminated whenever the radio was on.

Good luck, electrical problems are the worst :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
x2 John :texas:
the grey may go to the radio for the auto-dim function, if it has one?? its a day/night dimmer..

its been a while,but a radio usually needs
a power wire (red?),, yellow on the truck from the radio fuse,, thats hot with the key on,,
a memory wire (yellow?) orange on the truck from the ctsy fuse,, thats hot all the time,,
a ground (black?), black on the truck,, and
maybe a power antenna (maybe blue??)
and lots of speaker wires..

heres a power antenna diagram http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring_diagrams/PowerAntenna.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts