El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1:
I have a 78 El Camino and over a period of time the dirty seat belts have rubbed of on the seats! The vinyl side of the seat has gross looking black marks and i cant seem to get it off! Any suggestions? Also it is on the cloth portion of the seat.

Question 2:
On the dash it looks like there are a few specks of red. I scratched at one assuming that it was something that had gotten onto the dash only to reveal more red! Does this mean that the dash was originally red and it was painted black? What would be the best way to remedy this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds like a previous owner painted the interior.If they had used a cloth paint(spray dye) that was around in the 1980s,lacquer thinner on a clean,I repeat CLEAN cotton cloth may remove the dye.Be CAREFUL,don't wipe a large area and only do a little at a time.Better to blot then wipe.NO SMOKING!!!!!!!!! or BOOM!!!!.
The thinner will remove the gloss from the vinyl and too much will swell the vinyl.
As for the dash,just get a replacement shell and snap it on,or repaint.
Have you tried mineral spirits yet? It will not harm the vinyl as fast and may take care of the problem.
Good Luck and be careful,
8) Shane

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just a tip but if anyone is cleaning vinyl, a very easy to use product that works great on dirty non-painted vinyl is "Stuff Stuff" its sold everywhere in a bright red and yellow can. It's made by Simoniz. Just spray on the white foam wait a few and wipe the dirt away. Looks great when followed up with 303 protectant. For more info on 303 check out the tips section in our fourms on detailing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vinyl on the sides of the seat are not painted and the seats are in pristine condition since they have been re-upholstered. I get what you are saying though. Know any good places to get a replacement dash? I will try that stuff stuff and see if i cant get it off of the seat, thanks.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Tuff Stuff. Good stuff.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Sounds like the interior was originally red (maroon) or at least the dash. If the dash has no cracks, why replace it or cover it up with a dashcap? With proper prepping you can re-dye it black while in the car. This will take some patience and care to tape off all areas so you don't get overspray on those areas. If the dash is cracked however, you may look into installing a new/used dashpad (expensive) or a fullface dashcap (cheap). If you go this route, it can be dyed the color you want outside of the vehicle and then installed. Read all the past forums concerning this matter, it may help you make your decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I disassembled the whole interior and dash assembly on a 79 with red interior, factory buckets with console shifter (Auto trans). I was surprised to find that the dash pad which was old and cracked, was originally tan, and appeared to be recolored red from the factory. (it wasn't paint, and apperared to be a sort of vynalized red coating.) I also found the original build sheet in the headliner. It indicated the interior color to be red. Surprised me 8O

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just Dashes is supposed to really good, so i've heard but is really expensive. You could find a decent crack free dash cheaper if you look around.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
You can buy a new dash and dye it for what Just Dashes wants. I talked with them about a year ago and just said 'Thanks' and went on my merry way. They wanted something like $700 to fix the dash and more to dye it. 8O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts