El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
covering trim

I had the doors covered with ultra leather, it turned out pretty nice everything else I dyed with sem. I did it in a bright red and it looks really great. All I need to do is put everything back. my interior was a blue grey. I had to spray it white first and then the red to get the color I wanted. I am replacing the dash board now. I'm having a little trouble getting the old one out so I can get the new one in.

Anybody that has disconected the speedometer that has any advice please let me know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To unplug the cable there is a metel spring type piece to puch and pul the cable from the back and unplug the wire that all. I pulled my entire dash today in about an hour. all my trim peices are pretty rough so thats why I thouight about covering them

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
unscrew the speedo head and pullout slightly and reach behind it and depress the clip where the cable goes intoo the speedo head and will come right out.as far as covering the trim .i have seen a lot done and looks good.in either matching or contrasting colors

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
dont worry i cant see well and type even worse.broke my eye cruches and waiting on the new ones

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the ones i have seen have been at car shows. and in talking to the guys there, most did it for the same reason as you. a lot of them used the headliner material with the 1/8 in foam instead of the 1/4 in stuff.it follows the shape great .looks original when done. when i am finished with the drive train on my 86 i am going to start on the interior and plan to cover mine as well and my trim is fine.just want it different.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think covering the trim would look good, I've seen a few newer cars ilke that.
Keeping it clean would probably be a little tougher

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Paulie,, I pulled some seats out of a Cadillac this past weekend and they (caddies) use fabric on there post pillars they glue and staple the material,, very short staples less than .100 or less,, thats what I would recommend and ensure you scrap or sand down any loose material as well,, with a well prepped surface and good glue,, i would go to a autobody store,, prep is the key I would think,, Matty man

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I had the A B and sail panels covered with the same headliner material that I put on my headliner. I think it looks great. A more modern look. It is a pain to clean. I used the same mater1al on the overhead console. The steel rails above the windshield and rear window were painted to match.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
after you cover them with any cloth type material sprat several coats of scotch gaurd to keep them clean and redo each year and will stay clean and look good for years.scotch gaurd is a water repelant/stain proofing spray works good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts