El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 with a 406 that would will only start periodically. I changed the ignition switch and sometimes it will start. The confusing part to me is when the key is in the acc position the blower motor will not run. I checked for power at both the ignition switch and the blower switch and both have power. I am at a loss as to what else to do.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
if the starter/motor turns over fine and it wont start? check the power,,
pink wire from ignition switch to the distributer,,
see if its hot in the run and start positions..

if the starter wont engage?? pull up on the gear shift when you try to start it,,(neutral safety switch)

and x2 on the ignition switch adjustment..:texas:

heres some diagrams
http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the blower only works in the run position. when it doesnt start is there any spark,does the motor not crank.does it turn over but not start. we need a little more info

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does the starter turn over the engine? If not, try starting it in nuetral.May be the nuetral start safety switch. If it starts in nuetral, most certainly it is the NSS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clarification

1. The blower motor does not run in any position.
2. I have readjusted the ignition switch.
3. The engine doesn't attempt to turn over.

This has happened on several occasions. It will start and then I turn it off and then it won't even turn over. I have noticed that if the blower motor comes on then it will start if not then nothing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
try wiggling wires, battery to fusebox, ect.....sounds like a bad connection,maybe at the ignition switch plug on the side of the column.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
check all of your cables and fuseable links,allof your grounds. sounds like a dirty/loose connection some where. try the cables at the starter thats where your cab power comes from

1 - 10 of 10 Posts