El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 657 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Irwindale Raceway2016 Part 2 "QTR TNZ" Thursday Nights Come Down See The Excitement

I started this thread back on 8/21/2015.
"Taking the 85 to the Irwindale Drags Saturday Night anybody else interested?" With over 21,000 hits and a lot of obstacles in our path D & R Racing LLC would like to thank you for all of your support.:You_Rock:

It's now 2016 and Dale and I on the right track to be able to say "QTR TNZ" are in our sights so I wanted to start this new thread with our dyno results and Test and tune.

"Irwindale Raceway 2016 Part 2 Thursday Nights Come On Down And See The Excitement"​

Yesterday Dale , Gale and I went to R & D Dyno in Gardena CA to see what we had or didn't have with my 509 Big Block. The first pull they used the Dyno results to see what needed to be adjusted and came with A/F motor was running lean and the jets were too small for the 950 Holley so they changed them from 76 to 80's on the pri. bowl and 84 to 88's on the sec. The timing was set by another shop to 38 so they backed it down to 36 total timing. The next two pulls were almost identical at 491.50 HP @6000 RPM @ 491.07 Torque at the rear wheels. I guess with the TH400 25% Power Loss that's around 653 HP at the motor. Not bad and we have room for improvement. I guess by installing 1-inch Phenolic spacer on the intake/carb. to keep the fuel cooler we could pick up 10HP for $24.00

Here's the Dyno pull and results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD25N5_9FLs

Next we went to Irwindale to see what the truck would do.

Two runs 1/8 mi. E/T's 7.17 @ 99 MPH 60FT 1.63

We did it the front tires showed daylight between the asphalt and tire.

Give it up for Gale he was eating rubber while filming.:bigups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MxVP2aRM5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TMh1oxLGwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPEmmJib7_c

Here's from Dale's vantage point.

We're now doing the G-Body Twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDXD_IASug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjMVTLGeZGY

I chocked this run but Gale got the worse filming from the rear tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z43pEqme2DI

Stay tuned this should be a good couple of months and come on down to the track it's a blast plus there's a wealth on knowledge to be had on motors just ask.:bigups::bigups:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First point of business is shedding weight. We already have a Harwood fiberglass pin down hood that will shed close to 75lbs off the front then hack a 1/3 off the 3-inch exhaust from the rear tires to the rear end of the truck and install Flowmaster 44's or Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo's out the rear wheels. The extra pipe will save money modifying the system .

@ $198.00 ea. fiberglass front fenders are being considered also. Inner door panels will be changed with Alum. door panels, shed the electric door locks and go to a single headlights up front..

From what I'm told every 100lbs shaves a 1/10 off the E/T so 6's are a reality here quick. After one run last night I was informed by Tech I must have my flame retardant jacket on while in the truck. I have noticed lately the tech inspection on my truck is getting more attention. Their now on there knees looking under the truck and checking all SFI/NHRA required equipment for date codes and class. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT SAFTEY FIRST!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Way to go(sic) Robert! Enjoying watching you progress from a Wannabe to a Track Smart Driver/Owner.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats! :beer:

Your driving has gotten better and more consistent. What does your converter flash to and what rpm are you crossing the line at?
3100 And looks like 5800 RPM. Any suggestions?

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
306 Posts
3100 And looks like 5800 RPM. Any suggestions?
It doesn't appear to be spinning. A looser converter would probably help. Definitely if the one you have now only flashes to a little over 3,000. The video's you just posted say you launched at 4,500 on one pass? If it flashes that high, that's good. What size is the converter, probably 10"? What RPM did the motor make peak HP. You want to cross the line above the peak. :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Yea courtesy of Gale!!!!!

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It doesn't appear to be spinning. A looser converter would probably help. Definitely if the one you have now only flashes to a little over 3,000. The video's you just posted say you launched at 4,500 on one pass? If it flashes that high, that's good. What size is the converter, probably 10"? What RPM did the motor make peak HP. You want to cross the line above the peak. :beer:
Peaks at 6000 RPM but doing the math it should be 6400

Torque Converter, 10 in. Diameter, Powerglide, TH350, TH400, 2,900-3,300 Stall, Each

Input Spline Quantity:

Anti-Ballooning Plate:
Yes

Lockup:
No

Diameter (in):
10.000 in.

Crank Pilot Diameter:
1.703 in.

Furnace-Brazed:
Yes

Balanced:
Yes

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you watch the launch where you're running against the KITT Firebird there's something goofy with the launch. Looks like the trans brake releases and then grabs again. Or something like that. Definitely a stutter there after it starts to move.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you watch the launch where you're running against the KITT Firebird there's something goofy with the launch. Looks like the trans brake releases and then grabs again. Or something like that. Definitely a stutter there after it starts to move.
That was me getting excited and shifting into second after releasing the trans brake button.:eek3:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Added 1" carb. spacer hood closes fine.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
I guess by installing 1-inch Phenolic spacer on the intake/carb. to keep the fuel cooler we could pick up 10HP for $24.00
Along with keeping gas cooler it helps with delivery velocity too. :bigups:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Along with keeping gas cooler it helps with delivery velocity too. :bigups:

HUMM!!!!!

Should I Run a Carb Spacer?

Carb spacers only do one thing, increase the size of the plenum area. Larger plenums = higher RPM use and higher RPM power curves (less low RPM torque). Small plenums = lower RPM use (below 6,500 - 7,000 RPM) and greater lower RPM response (velocity and mixture), for quicker power and torque curves. In other words, the larger the plenum, the "lazier" the air (and fuel) is inside the plenum it so it requires higher RPMs to create the velocity needed to get that air/fuel mixture moving the directions it needs to go (down the runners).

Ever see any factory engines (including 99% o muscle cars) come with carb spacers or large plenum intake manifolds? Nope. Most use dual plane intake manifolds rather than single planes because street engines are in lower RPMs 90% o the time and use "torque" for acceleration rather than "horsepower" (which only comes into play above 5,250 RPM). Unless you are operating at or above 6,000 - 8,000 RPM and are using a single plane intake manifold, you "shouldn't" need a carb spacer. The intake manifold manufacturers aren't stupid. If they wanted a plenum to be larger, they would design it to BE larger. One of the only manifolds where a spacer is commonly used are small block Chevy Edelbrock Victor Jr's because so many guys use those on hot street engines (and mild race engines) that see a lot of upper RPM track time, yet still a lot of lower RPM street use. That manifold works well on the street, but at the track, in much higher RPM use can use a little bigger plenum (because it isn't a "serious" race manifold like a Super Victor is), so carb spacers are pretty common on those, AND to top it off, Edelbrock KNOWS this and offers that manifold with a 1" taller plenum right out of the box so you don't have to buy a separate spacer IF you are going to be running in the upper RPM range more often than normal. Again, manifold manufacturers know what works and what doesn't, and if they thought they needed spacers, they would modify their manifold design to have it, (like Edelbrock did), or would recommend one for certain applications (higher RPM use, larger cubic inch engines, etc), or they would supply you with one. But the Victor Jr is the only manifold I know of that has that option.

Spacers are typically used on circle track engines and drag engines that operate at peak RPMs most of the time IF the cubic inch displacement is greater than what that manifold is designed for, or the RPM range is higher than what it was designed for using a given runner size of the manifold and heads.

Dual plane intakes shouldn't use spacers because it defeats the purpose, and again, slows down the velocity which is needed to create good low-end torque, which is what moves the car, especially street cars that don't launch off the rev limiter like real race cars do at the track, or operate in their peak power RPM all of the time like true race cars do.

Most single plane manifolds don't have any provisions for a manifold vacuum source, so some guys will run a spacer that has a vacuum port on it when running a single plane manifold equipped street engine so they can run their power brakes or have a PCV line, etc. What we do rather than messing with the plenum size by having that spacer is to just drill and tap the manifold (before you install it), for a vacuum port. There are almost always places on manifolds to put one, either on the side of the plenum (where we prefer to put them), or in one of the runners.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of the best features of a single-plane manifold configuration is that it allows each runner to withdraw a larger volume of air-fuel mixture during the available induction time span. Unfortunately, life isn't always simple--and neither are intake manifolds. As each cylinder withdraws a charge from the plenum, the mixture streams are forced to change direction constantly.

Creating more havoc inside the manifold are pressure pulses that travel backward from the cylinder into the manifold runner and eventually into the plenum. And some engine combinations have more of this reverse pressure pulsation than others. These constant directional changes in the plenum along with pressure pulses can create a healthy amount of turbulence inside the plenum.

Some single-plane intake manifolds are designed with a very short turn radius coming out of the bottom of the carb venturis into the respective entries of the intake manifold runners. When the carburetor is moved up (most often with a spacer), the velocity of the intake charge is reduced, which in turn allows the previous mixture streams to make the bend around the corner (or short side radius) easily. In certain applications, a 1/2-inch spacer will work, but in other cases, the manifold design dictates a larger spacer.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the addition of a spacer effectively increases the distance between the carburetor and the floor of the plenum. Because of this added distance, the carburetor signal is weakened. And when the signal is weakened, a larger jet (or jets) in the carburetor will be required. Carburetor spacers designed with four separate holes tend to recapture the velocity of the mixture stream that has been lost when an open carburetor spacer is installed. In simple terms, more exit velocity in the mixture stream creates a stronger carburetor signal than that found with an open spacer. Generally speaking, the jet size still will have to be increased when a four-hole spacer is used, but not as much as with an open spacer

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Strange read for me. When I added da 4 hole spacer I lost da lo-mid range dead spot I had and idle vacuum increased. :dontknow:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 657 Posts