El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
My new problem seems to be I can’t shift the darn car! And currently it is stuck in gear parked in the garage, thankfully. It’s a Muncie 4 speed with a hurst shifter. In my 2 months of ownership have only been able to drive it twice as keeps getting stuck in gear/unable to shift into gear. Took to the shop and “first and second gear so far out of adjustment surprised able to get it in gear.” So had it adjusted drove it home then got stuck in gear. Adjusted clutch cable thinking was engagement problem. Still stuck in gear. Is this normal with hurst shifters? Is there a better shifter to go with? I am not mechanically inclined so would like something that doesn’t need constant adjustment. I’ll include a pic of the shifter. Sorry for long post thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi guys!
My new problem seems to be I can’t shift the darn car! And currently it is stuck in gear parked in the garage, thankfully. It’s a Muncie 4 speed with a hurst shifter. In my 2 months of ownership have only been able to drive it twice as keeps getting stuck in gear/unable to shift into gear. Took to the shop and “first and second gear so far out of adjustment surprised able to get it in gear.” So had it adjusted drove it home then got stuck in gear. Adjusted clutch cable thinking was engagement problem. Still stuck in gear. Is this normal with hurst shifters? Is there a better shifter to go with? I am not mechanically inclined so would like something that doesn’t need constant adjustment. I’ll include a pic of the shifter. Sorry for long post thanks for reading :) View attachment 139258
I think you either have transmission wear problems or the shop doesn't know how the adjust the shift linkage. What gear is it stuck in?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think you either have transmission wear problems or the shop doesn't know how the adjust the shift linkage. What gear is it stuck in?
Are you saying that you can't get it out of gear even when the engine isn't running? If you're going to own an old vehicle it is a good idea to learn how to work on it yourself as much as possible. I've never had a problem with any 4 speed Hurst shifter. To correctly adjust the linkage all you have to do is disconnect the shifter rods from the shifter levers and put the transmission in neutral. The 1-2 and 3-4 levers should be vertical and perfectly aligned then. Make sure the shifter is in neutral and then adjust the rod ends to fit exactly into the shifter levers. You can do it with just a few hand tools. There's probably a YouTube video that shows how to do it. You may also have a lot of wear on the shifter parts in the transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is stuck in 1st gear. The frustrating thing is that everything is new and has only 2500 miles on it. Good to hear from someone that hurst shifters are good so maybe it just needs adjustment. I guess I could watch a YouTube video and at least figure out how to get it in neutral. Unfortunately The most I have done to a car myself is change the oil and the battery. But I guess we all have to start out somewhere.

·
Director, Region 2
1965 El Camino
661 Posts
Question
What is the proper way to adjust my Hurst four speed shifter?
Answer
There is a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom of the Hurst mechanism that runs through all three levers. This is called the neutral alignment hole. To ensure proper adjustment, run the shifter from first into second and then back to neutral. Insert the neutral alignment pin (or a 1/4 inch drill bit) into the neutral alignment hole. If the 1-2 lever interferes with the smooth insertion of the alignment pin, remove the 1-2 linkage rod from the shifter and thread the adjuster button either in or out to eliminate the interference. Repeat this procedure with the 3-4 lever and reverse. To adjust the stop bolts, back the bolts out of the shifter frame until only a few threads remain. Push the stick firmly into third gear and hold. Screw in the stop bolt until contact is made. Release the stick and back the stop bolt out one turn and tighten the jamnut. Push the stick into fourth gear and repeat the procedure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the detailed description Leo! Might take me a couple days to do what you could do in an hour but hopefully I can get it done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts