El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought (finally) an 87 Caballero. So naturally wanted to figure out exactly what was what. Deciphered almost all of the rpo codes in the glove box (some were not listed anywhere) but one of them said it was an Amarillo. I have the original checksheet build/order list, and next to Amarillo there's no check. But there's missing checks to a few things that are definitely there, like the 4bbl 305. It's had a paint job, so all the exterior badging is gone, and the dash panel looks relatively good for its age, so could be a replacement, but has a gmc badge.

So do I go by the glove box or build sheet?

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Hi Karadjgne, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. I believe the build sheet is the best place to go by. Enjoy and have fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the Vin matches the build sheet. It's just wierd there's things not checked, that are actually on the car, such as the Amarillo, the engine, even the OD 200 4R isn't checked off, yet is on the car and listed in the glove box codes. Almost like the salesman got lazy. It does have a Gold decal package checked, afaik the only Gold emblems on any of those cars were the different color Amarillo decals. The prior owner is of no help, he was sure the car was built in Canada, but it's obviously from Mexico, Vin 3...

Is there anywhere else on the car where the Vin will be listed? A frame tag maybe? Almost wonder if the title and Vin/dash were from a donor car

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,643 Posts
The Amarillo is the version of the Chevy Conquista
I see you pic on the other post & you have the body side molding & thin molding which is RPO code BX8
You said it got painted but it looks like it was the special two-tone paint RPO code D91
There is no gold GMC badging but maybe a Gold tailgate decal ?
What RPO codes did you not find ?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,643 Posts
the ones below is just part of the F41 Suspension
6YX-COMPONENT FRT LH, COMPUTER SEL SUSP
7YY-COMPONENT FRT RH, COMPUTER SEL SUSP
8HN-COMPONENT RR LH, COMPUTER SEL SUSP
9HN-COMPONENT RR RH, COMPUTER SEL SUSP
GMD- GMAD Plants not sure what that means ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
F41 suspension. Build sheet lists Sport Suspension. No rear sway bar. I looked. This thing rolls on corners like a drunken sailor.
Something else to add to the 'parts to buy' list...
Hah, only saving grace is the wife wanted this car.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,643 Posts
F41 suspension. Build sheet lists Sport Suspension. No rear sway bar. I looked. This thing rolls on corners like a drunken sailor.
The F41 Suspension is only a $16 option, which is mostly the front braces, Not like the F41 back in the 70's
And I think those components are just different front & rear springs
None of the EL Caminos came with a rear sway bar

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Use the big Hellwig front sway bar along with four Bilstine shocks and you will sober up the drunken sailor... At some point I would look into updating the front and rear control arms. I like the SC&C set up with Howe ball joints and Delrin bushings with and .9 and .5 tall ball joints. However Mark is very slow, the parts usually take a few months to reach your door..
After installing the SC&C stage 3 front, Spohn Del-Sphear adjustable rear control arms I didn't need a rear bar...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rear has air shocks, single input, split lines. Was at @ 25lbs but now at 60lbs, somewhat improved and a 1½ rise

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Rear has air shocks, single input, split lines. Was at @ 25lbs but now at 60lbs, somewhat improved and a 1½ rise
To improve ride and load carrying, take a look at this thread and the comments on moving to air lift bags inside the rear springs (each with their own fill tube) plus good shocks..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well further investigation of the rpo and its 2 tone for sure, has to be amarillo, dark ming blue metallic primary, but the secondary? Rpo code 279? However, 1AY is a dealer ordered car. Maybe not 2 tone after all?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,643 Posts
Also Air shocks sucks compared to having good shocks with the Airlift 1000 coil airbags
I have the KYB's Gas-A-Just on all 4 with the airbags & rides great & can haul heavy loads
I don't have a thick wallet so I went with the KYB's
People with thick wallets go with the QA1 or Bilstein shocks that cost above $300
This is my setup on my old 84

·
Registered
129 Posts
X2 on the Airlift bags with the KYB shocks. That is what I am running. Drives fine and easy on the wallet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts