El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about putting a lt1 from a camaro into the elky so i was wondering if the rear eng would also fit. I can get a wrecked camaro w/intact drivetrain for cheaper than the engine/tranny alone. and if i can already get those outta a totaled camaro, i might as well see if its possible to get the rear end also.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
No it will not fit. First I'm pretty sure the width is different. Second the LT1 Camaros do not have upper control arms. Only lower ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you want low buck perfomance for your elco, try looking at mote carlos ( and other A and G bodies ). if you can get your hands on an 85 "MONTE CARLO SS" rear end it would fit right in your elco. it spins a stock 3.42 gears, 7.5-inch ring gear.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Pdodo said:
if you want low buck perfomance for your elco,
They're not really low buck. :) The 83-85 MCSS have 3.42 gears, the 86-88 MCSS have 3.73 gears. Many of the MCSS were not posi either. At a decent swap meet, most of the ones with a posi will sell for $300-400, the non-posi ones you can get for about $150.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
8 Posts
thats good to know, cuz i didn't know that the 86-88 even have 3.73 gears. also i was goin more towards to the junkyard scavenging for the low buck $. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Will a f-body rear fit in a elky? Yup, I can put a couple in the bed.

Seriously though. Not really.

The f-bod rear is wider and does not have upper control arm mounts.. It could be and has been done but takes lots of fabbing and costs allot and you are still stuck with an expensive 7.5 rear.

The 8.5 is a great swap if you can find a deal on one. For the rest of us there is little choice.

There are a couple routes to take though.

1) put a posi and a set of gears in your existing rear.

2) for a stronger rear, get a 28 spline posi a set of new 28 spline axles and then your new gears.

You can get an aluminum cover that goes in place of the tin one and it will streghten the rear some. It is also available with extra holes so you can tie it to the axle tubes.

If you need more in depth info let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts