El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok on post number 3 yeah.

i was just looking around the site some more during my second period computer class (i'm 17, i'm getting an elky this summer)

somewhere on this site i found a link to this classic car site and there i searched for elkys in my state ,OH, i was absolutely amazed that i found some eklys for pretty cheap.

i was just wondering if it is actually possible to buy one of the elkys that says it has a good frame and engine for like $2000 and actually find that it has a good frame and engine. if this is true maybe one of you has done this. finding that out would really make me happy. of course i live in ohio near cleveland so i am exspecting some rust... as long as the frame isn't to bad and the body doesn't have any HUGE holes in it i will be happy.

i was looking at collectorcartraderonline.com

if there is no way to find a refurbashable elky (good engine/frame) for 2000 i mine as well be killed in a car crash driving my geo tracker

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought my '81 elco for $340.00 and drove it home. Since then I've put about $4000.00 in it and it still looks like it's only worth about $500.00.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought an 84 that runs, but the body is rough for $300
I was given an 81 for free (picture is in the gallery) but doesn't run.
This car is for my 15 year old son.

·
Registered
314 Posts
mine was 3100, including new snow tires. After that i've probably got 2000 in it.

usually a fair body camino for 2000 will only have a v6

·
Banned
881 Posts
Endever said:
i was just wondering if it is actually possible to buy one of the elkys that says it has a good frame and engine for like $2000 and actually find that it has a good frame and engine.
You shouldn't be just looking for a good frame and engine. There are other things to conside like body, suspension, brakes, interior, mileage. A nice low milage El Camino needing little or no work is a rare and expensive thing and nobody will be selling one for $2K. Take a look at this site. They speciaize in low mileage, rust free El Caminos.

http://www.bethanykars.com/

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You may have to be pateint when searching for an Elky in your price range. For $2000, you should be able to find a really nice one! I bought mine for $700 with no engine (it came with an olds 350 that wasn't installed), the body and frame were good, not great, but still a good solid vehicle. I searched for about 3 months in many states before I found mine through a friend, just 10 miles from home :D .

87ElCamino, that is one GREAT site :!: 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all of these posts sound like good news to my elky wanting ears... All i must do now is wait... that and keep coming here to talk to all you awesome elky owners

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep waitin'
I made the mistake of jumping on the first one that was close enough for me to get. I was told nice engine good body, minor rust on pass front fendor ... Boy did I get screwed. 1200 dollars for an 81 with more rot then the cucumber that sat in the back of my fridge for a year. I have not completly inspected the frame but I have my fingers crossed.

One last thing. For the love of God please don't buy off ebay... if you do at least make sure you have full pics that are time stamped and from under the car. I baught mine on ebay... it even had pics ... come to find out they were a few yers old, before the rear end accident [very minor but needs a new tailgate] and the fact that the rust has started to eat it away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is no way i would buy a car off ebay... there are about 10 elkys that i can get too and about 4 with 8 cylinders... so i am gonna check out the ones with 8cyl and if one of them is up to par ITS MINE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts