El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my suspension rebuild. The shock bushing was the only bolt I didn’t torque to spec because you have to hold the top of the thread going through it with a wrench and unless you have an open end torque wrench that seems impossible to me. Can someone just assure me these don’t look too tight. I’ve never changed shocks before so I have no idea, I didn’t get them extremely tight with a huge wrench or anything, just hand tool tight with a normal adjustable wrench out of the mechanics tool set, torque spec was 13lb. Let me know what you think, just wouldn’t want to find out it’s too tight and my bushing wears fast.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Musical instrument Wood Art Metal Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
910 Posts
That doesn't appear too tight. 13 foot pounds of torque is not much. Your bushings don't appear crushed or distorted. Snug em up and take it for a spin

·
Registered
282 Posts
That looks way too tight...Here is an example of how it should be done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks way too tight...Here is an example of how it should be done.

Thank you. I adjusted according to that and it seems better

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That doesn't appear too tight. 13 foot pounds of torque is not much. Your bushings don't appear crushed or distorted. Snug em up and take it for a spin
Hey thanks for the reply. I read some manuals and it said they we’re actually too tight, the rubber shouldn’t stick out past the washer or it can make it ride harsher

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotta say that it looks to tight as it is squeezing out from under the washer. Hand tight and then 2 more turns should be enough. There should also be a second nut on the stud to lock it on.
Thanks. I adjustebed them until the rubber was no longer sticking out past the washer. These are ac delcofront shocks and they didn’t come with another nut to lock the top, nor did the shocks I removed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts