El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After playing with my timing trying to find the sweet spot,I think I did ok by setting it by ear. What do you guys think? Is my cam lope ok?

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
What is more important to you..performance and mileage or a lopey idle? Best performance and economy depends on optimum timing. Lopey idle noise is just noise. Retarding the timing puts your motor at a disadvantage. If you get your cookies from a racecar type idle replace your cam with one of those mother thumpers from comp cams. Just my dos centavos:dontknow:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is more important to you..performance and mileage or a lopey idle? Best performance and economy depends on optimum timing. Lopey idle noise is just noise. Retarding the timing puts your motor at a disadvantage. If you get your cookies from a racecar type idle replace your cam with one of those mother thumpers from comp cams. Just my dos centavos:dontknow:
I'm gonna advance it again. I just like the 292 Comp Cam sound.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm with Lockjaw, optimum timing is not about lopey idle, so if your question is "is my timing ok" I'm gonna have to say no - probably not. If your timing is 36 degrees all in (w/o vacuum) by about 2400 rpm then on the other hand maybe so, since something in that vicinity tends to be where SBC's like it. It can vary.

Having the "292" sound is cool to be sure, but if the car cant back it up with the power the cam should deliver then whats the point? Sounding like you have a rowdy cam is nowhere nears as good as actually having a rowdy cam and being able to use it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with Lockjaw, optimum timing is not about lopey idle, so if your question is "is my timing ok" I'm gonna have to say no - probably not. If your timing is 36 degrees all in (w/o vacuum) by about 2400 rpm then on the other hand maybe so, since something in that vicinity tends to be where SBC's like it. It can vary.

Having the "292" sound is cool to be sure, but if the car cant back it up with the power the cam should deliver then whats the point? Sounding like you have a rowdy cam is nowhere nears as good as actually having a rowdy cam and being able to use it.
I can put out the power,no doubt about it. I need a posi to put my 3:08 gears to the ground though. The engine,tranny,suspension has been beefed up already. Yhe only thing left for me to do is the rear end,paint and body and swap in my bucket seats. So about 5 more grand to go.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I can put out the power,no doubt about it. I need a posi to put my 3:08 gears to the ground though. The engine,tranny,suspension has been beefed up already. Yhe only thing left for me to do is the rear end,paint and body and swap in my bucket seats. So about 5 more grand to go.
if youre happy with the performance then its cool

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out to play with the timing again today. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
257 Posts
As much a u PLAY wit the timing ur eyes have got to b like a timing light lol.....:poke::poke::secret::poke:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Beast..do your car a favor...find something else to play with. Leave your dizzy alone. It will thank you. Try stamp collecting or crossword puzzles. Get a big mutha thumper cam from comp cams and enjoy the cacophony of your exhaust note.lol:secret:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Sounds good! I like that sound! Mine idles at about 600, so my idle is unsteady and is quiet. Should i raise it to about 850? Cause when i put it in drive it drops to about 400 rpm... Almost dies on me

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beast..do your car a favor...find something else to play with. Leave your dizzy alone. It will thank you. Try stamp collecting or crossword puzzles. Get a big mutha thumper cam from comp cams and enjoy the cacophony of your exhaust note.lol:secret:
Whats the use of building a toy you cant play with? That's the point of enjoying your money right? Stamps and puzzles are for the old guys....:poke:
I have another 383 I plan on installing sometime this year in another project. Maybe I wont tinker with that one as much.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good! I like that sound! Mine idles at about 600, so my idle is unsteady and is quiet. Should i raise it to about 850? Cause when i put it in drive it drops to about 400 rpm... Almost dies on me
It should idle around 850.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Just went outside and raised it. It idles about 850, then in drive it idles about 650. Exhaust isnt so quiet now. It was strugglin to stay alive so i could not move unless i hit the gas, usually you can let off the brake and it will coast.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just went outside and raised it. It idles about 850, then in drive it idles about 650. Exhaust isnt so quiet now. It was strugglin to stay alive so i could not move unless i hit the gas, usually you can let off the brake and it will coast.
Did it improve with the adjustment?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts