El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new member here. Trying to learn about my 1969 elco. Ran across this and it seams very unusual to me. Is this some part of a trans cooler? There is a line that goes into my radiator and a 2nd line under i think to trans. I will confirm tomorrow. Just was curious what it does and if its necessary.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my question is can I just by pass this and remove it? I would rather have one that is mounted in front of my radiator like more common installations. But mean time I'd like to remove this ugly thing from my engine bay so I can clean things up.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,692 Posts
if I had to to make a SWAG, that's a chiller (as @Hat Trick pointed out) being used in a jury-rig application. I'm wondering if the previous owner was a street drag racer and this was his way of hiding a performance improvement. then again, it's big enough it may not fit in front of the radiator. my personal opinion is that it was done by someone who had it lying around and he said "this'll work!" without having to spend any extra money.

I'd take it out. If you're still concerned about cooling, get a correct aftermarket unit and have it mounted properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys all for your replies. I don't really drive it much right now. I'm slowly upgrading her. Most of what I've seen it's pretty much original. All the dress up stuff under the hood I've put in. I started also upgrading the suspension. The front end was toast. I'll start a build thread to show my slow progress. I'm by no means a mechanic just trying to learn as I go.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Cyberray, the trans in my 87 EC is a Bow Ties Overdrive Level 2 2004r trans. Although I got it on a deal...aka steal, I want to do whatever I can to ensure this trans stays in good shape. The trans was in a car that the owner only drove sparingly before parking it. I was lucky enough to buy the whole car for $500. In addition to the trans, there was a complete 87 GN 8.5in rear end assembly with 3.42 posi gears.

Suffice it to say, this BUY turned out to be a winner for me!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
My transmission cooler lines run thru the radiator coils... have an a/c condenser in front of the radiator, not sure putting an aftermarket trans cooler in front as well would be a good idea?

Anyone have a trans heat sending unit and gauge installed?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That looks like something you would see on a commercial HVAC system. If you look at any newer (95' and up) you will typically see the trans lines going to the radiator and the radiators are set up to cool engine oil as well as trans oil. If you remove that you will still need to circulate your trans oil and if your radiator is not built for that you need to find something and there are a lot of simple coolers out there. Comments above about keeping it up and not under the car are spot behind your grill is a good spot as you get plenty of air flow. Do a search for trans coolers and you will see a ton of options. The picture below is the style I ran on my 65' in high school and more than likely will be going back on. You need to know you hose size before ordering as some coolers will only accept a specific size and I just hate seeing adapters and reducers all over the place, keep it clean and simple.

Font Technology Rectangle Gas Output device

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I would remove all that stuff thats not being used anymore. That big plenum on the passenger side for one. On my 69 I removed the whole deal heater, wiring and all ducts. I had about 100 pounds of junk. That stuff also keeps the underhood temps high.

If you have an automatic just use the one in the radiator and stay away from all that aftermarket stuff. I've seen so many of those cooler's leak and make a real mess. The transmission is designed to run as close to the engines temperature as possible or you'll have the engine and transmission trading temperatures all the time and that causes all kinds of wierd thing things

My 69 el Camino is so easy to work on now. The under dash is wide open.

Once I removed all that stuff, I noticed a damper on the passenger's side blocking the floor vent and on the driver's side the factory had that vent covered. My el Camino was about 30 degrees cooler in the summer after I opened all the vents up.
That car will be an oven in the summer if you leave all that stuff on the engine, cowl and floor boxes.

The AC systems that originally came on these cars were very over engineered and took a lot of engine power to run some say 20%, although I'm never sure on any estimates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts