El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some gas from Conoco-Phillips a couple days ago and I noticed it stinks and is very cloudy when it enters my in-line fuel filter. I always knew gas was clear but is this normal or is this the result of too much Ethanol?
Remember,the pumps now say "up to 10% Ethanol."

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I have never seen gas that color.:dontknow: It looks dirty

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never seen gas that color.:dontknow: It looks dirty
Me either! I've heard that customers can show proof of bad gas and get their money back. I've never done it or known anyone personally who has...:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I purchased some gas from Conoco-Phillips a couple days ago and I noticed it stinks and is very cloudy when it enters my in-line fuel filter. I always knew gas was clear but is this normal or is this the result of too much Ethanol?
Remember,the pumps now say "up to 10% Ethanol."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fTAPcOWGL0&feature=channel&list=UL
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g351/1980steelbeast/2012-06-02190728.jpg

check this out same question.

/porsche-911-technical-forum/75335-what-color-gasoline.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com

Razor, it looks about right, piss yellow is the color. I suspect rust would sink by the time you got it in a container. Maybe look for some sediment on the bottom. Bill.

If I'm not mistaken, and that would be rare, gasoline is actually clear. They began adding dyes a few decades ago. Don't remember why. Also, unleaded used to be called White Gas until it became used as a fuel for cars at which point they again added dye so that it would match the leaded flavor.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Same gas that did the one tire fire!!!! Maybe thats where all the smoke came from!!!:poke:
Donny

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..see,they did build a cruck thats runs on water...:poke:
..that ain't gas,thats lemonaide....:poke:
..to bad you can't get it anlyized..:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Looks like water in the gas.. take a drink and see...j/k bro :beer:
it looks bad for sure need to get it tested

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Looks like water in the gas.. take a drink and see...j/k bro :beer:
it looks bad for sure need to get it tested
is this the same fuel,that you ran up againts DDD ???

...At $4.10 a gallon,I'd be lookin to:snipersmilie:somebody..:let_it_all_out:
..I've seen better moonshine than that crap...
:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Water wouldn't stay in suspension. My bet would be too much of the additive package, or, just possibly, you bought it right after the truck delivered it, which is the only time the gas in the tanks in the ground get stirred up.

Does anything separate out when you let it sit for a while?

Also, it's possible it's attacking something in the bottle, if you put it in the bottle at the gas station.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the station you got that from has water in thier tanks.the gas with alcohol/methonol in it absorbs water making the fuel cloudy like that. clean gas is clear ,it may be tinted to identify it but it is still clear

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
fuel with a large percentage of alcohol/ methonol and absorbs water wont seperate on its own. the alcohol binds the water into the fuel thats why the new fuel rusts the steel in our fuel systems and they use so much plastic in modern fuel systems

·
Registered
497 Posts
problem is though, there will always be water in the gas. they fill when it's raining and general condensation will put water in gas station's tanks. though, they're only allowed to have so much water in the tank. any more than the allowance and the system needs to be pumped out and cleaned.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i worked at a lot of stations in my life and we never once checked for water. there are filters on the pumps to catch most water and forign stuff but it is up to the station to service them as needed, if not done on a timely basis they bypass just like a dirty oil filter then you get all the crap with your fuel

·
Registered
497 Posts
maybe it's because it rains so hard here sometimes, but the station i work part time at (el camino parts money) actually checks monthly. we also change the filters at the pumps religiously.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was the O'Reillys container an empty coolant jug? How did you clean that out before pouring gas into it?
It was washed out with dish washing liquid before Belton,so I know for sure its extra clean inside. I can snap pics today of the fuel in the new in-line filter too.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if it is the same as whats in the bottle it has a lot of water in it.in the old days we used to put a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank to remove water and the fuel looked just like yours when done. just run it almost empty and fill it with clean fuel and change your filters again

1 - 20 of 29 Posts