El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need a stand and will probably only use it once but it will be on it for awhile? 725 lbs. my engine is 400lbs. I just looked it cost $1.00 more than the stand cost to ship it $90.00 shipping

Craftsman Professional Engine Stand

$89.99$99.99
PRICE DETAILS
Add To Cart

Here's one for $61.00 sears 1000 lbs

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Go to your local Harbor Freight Tools outlet and get their 1,000 lb. capacity stand. About $60. or less when it's on sale. I read a comparo article on several stands where the structural integrity was tested with the forks of a fork lift applying downward force. The Harbor Freight tools stand never broke any welds. We have several in use at my shop and I've built just about every brand engine on them. The 460 Ford with cast iron manifold and all front accessories was one of the heaviest, but the stand held it just fine.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cool guys I will check it out but looking at others frt. is more than the stand but it is was it is of course :beer:

GOT A STORE CLOSE TO ME :You_Rock: IN STOCK

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
GOT A STORE CLOSE TO ME :You_Rock: IN STOCK
Nice! Damn I miss living in Southern California sometimes. Even in Bakersfield whenever I needed something it was usually only an 80 mile drive to the south! You can find dang near everything in LA.

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Go to your local Harbor Freight Tools outlet and get their 1,000 lb. capacity stand. About $60. or less when it's on sale. I read a comparo article on several stands where the structural integrity was tested with the forks of a fork lift applying downward force. The Harbor Freight tools stand never broke any welds. We have several in use at my shop and I've built just about every brand engine on them. The 460 Ford with cast iron manifold and all front accessories was one of the heaviest, but the stand held it just fine.

FTW, this is what I was going to suggest. No, they are not the best. For the money, and very very little use, you can't beat it. I have 2 of them that I acquired through used motor purchases and I figured they were junk. To my suprize they are working well with a big block Olds 455 on one of them and that for sure is over doing it. Granted, it's not 100% complete either. The other has a complete SBC on it, and doing fine.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First time to Harbor Frt. They have everything I didn't have time to look around . Maybe I was just lucky but a nice look-en girl :yell:helped me getting my lift and as we were walking to the front she asked if I had a 20% coupon I said no and was told if I get one with in 10? days I still could get the discount. I was in line and I heard SIR turned around and she slipped me one and wheeled it out for me. So the lift was $59.99 and by the time I walked out the door it cost me $52.12 and they gave me a real nice heavy duty tape measure no charge. the lift will do just fine for what I need and I'm going back for the girl , been off the radar for a long time maybe she was hitting on me and she also loved my truck.

Is their stuff quality? Sure is a big store down here and it was packed.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
From hand tools to power tools, you really can't go wrong. A lot of the car magazines do tool comparisons with other major brands and Harbor Freight seems to fare well every time. Can you tell the difference between ball peen hammers or pry bars? It sounds like you'll be spending some time in there just browsing. Some deals are just too hard to pass up.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Not that it matters now but you used to able to order at sears.com and have it shipped to your local store free. Don't they still do this?

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Just notice that the warning on that HF stand says it is not rated to roll around. I have one and it is doing fine but I am going to put heavier castors on the front after I get the 350 4 bolt main off of it. I think that will do the trick.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i use a lot of harbor freight tools and i'll say they're decent. definitely not the best tools out there, as i recently bought a ratcheting breaker bar there and it only ratcheted for two bolts. but they do replace their tools with no hassle. just bring in the broken tool and they'll give an even exchange, no questions asked and no receipt needed. i've also found them to be A LOT cheaper than any other place for tools. looking to pick up a cherry picker and engine stand in the near future as my 350 and tranny are getting a full rebuild this winter.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not that it matters now but you used to able to order at sears.com and have it shipped to your local store free. Don't they still do this?
That's the first thing tried. They still do but not on everything. I will be right back . Sears cost $89.00 look at the bottom line when you get it.!!!!!!!

AND LOOK I SAVED $10.00 IF I ORDER IT

Order Summary

Merchandise Subtotal
$89.99

Oversized Delivery
$ 90.00

Apply a Promo Code
Details

Estimated Sales Tax (90040)
$8.77

Estimated Total
$188.76

Additional discounts may apply. Final purchase price will be reflected at Checkout.
Total Savings
$10.00

Earn 900 SHOP YOUR WAY REWARDSTMpoints on this order. Not a member? Learn More

Enter your Member # below beginning with 7081.
Member #

·
923 Posts
Some items are great, some are great for the price, some are flat junk at any price like the cheap drill motor, and their drill bits are horrible. I've had good luck with most of it though. You just have to know what to go for an not go for. As said above, a ball peen hammer, and a pry bar, how can they fail? I got the engine stethoscope on sale for like $2. I use it all the time and it's great. All my friends are amazed at how it works to locate loose valves, alternator bearings, idler bearings etc. They go nuts, I gotta get one of those. I usually get 2 or 3 when on sale and have given them away to friends. Many items like that at HF. I just tell everyone to be careful what you buy there.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i use a lot of harbor freight tools and i'll say they're decent. definitely not the best tools out there, as i recently bought a ratcheting breaker bar there and it only ratcheted for two bolts. but they do replace their tools with no hassle. just bring in the broken tool and they'll give an even exchange, no questions asked and no receipt needed. i've also found them to be A LOT cheaper than any other place for tools. looking to pick up a cherry picker and engine stand in the near future as my 350 and tranny are getting a full rebuild this winter.

They had hydraulic hoist and to me it looked heavy duty and sturdy $159.00
I'm going to run back down and look around. The place was packed and I was taken care of right away by the first one I could find. Walked out with a total less than advertised with a tape measure and tax.:dontknow:

·
Registered
532 Posts
The harbor freight hand tools definately take a beating, i have several sets of snap on and mac 3/8 drive sockets, i was breaking one or two a month(i abuse my tools almost every day)tried a set of the pittsburg sockets, three years and i havent broken not one of them(although the 13 and 15 mm are starting to get round instead of hex shaped) the only time i reach for a name brand socket now is if the cheap one tries to slip)
on the other hand their electric and pneumatic tools are a joke.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The harbor freight hand tools definately take a beating, i have several sets of snap on and mac 3/8 drive sockets, i was breaking one or two a month(i abuse my tools almost every day)tried a set of the pittsburg sockets, three years and i havent broken not one of them(although the 13 and 15 mm are starting to get round instead of hex shaped) the only time i reach for a name brand socket now is if the cheap one tries to slip)
on the other hand their electric and pneumatic tools are a joke.
true about their electric and pneumatic tools. but they're cheap and usually die before the warranty is up. so you can exchange them pretty easily.

·
923 Posts
I'll agree some of the Chicago power tools are horrible. I do have a Chicago 4 1/2in angle grinder that has surprised me. It's seems to keep going when I am expecting to croak since other Chicago tools haven't done to well. Bottom line, the Chicago stuff might be good for the home user. Like the Drill Master drill motors for example. They seem to do OK drilling pilot holes in wood, but trying to drill a hole into a auto frame... it will be burnt up before you get through the second hole, then go exchange it which I've done and finished my project. Then loaned it to my Son in Law a few months later, and it didn't work at all other than to buzz and smell very bad like burnt electrical. So after 3 Drill Master drill motors, I won't buy another one even though the drill was on sale for $7.99.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Sorry for getting into this discussion late, but thought I would add a comment for future readers. I find a good source for motor stands and engine lifts is Craigslist. Lots of folks buy them and use them once to install a motor, then turn around and sell it on CL.

Although Robert, you got a good deal on the stand with that coupon. You should marry that girl! Think of the employee discounts:nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for getting into this discussion late, but thought I would add a comment for future readers. I find a good source for motor stands and engine lifts is Craigslist. Lots of folks buy them and use them once to install a motor, then turn around and sell it on CL.

Although Robert, you got a good deal on the stand with that coupon. You should marry that girl! Think of the employee discounts:nanawrench:
I don't want to go through all that dating again but if I see one with a boat I my consider it at least she's on my wave link. I was looking at their wrenches and they look to thick and bulky and the prices look awful low on most of their stuff but if members here have tested them I'm game.

Hay Maddening I checked out two of their stores yesterday one in a real nice area and that store was nice then I went to one down around Down Town L.A. and it was tore up total different class of people but it was worth it I saw a hole in the wall tire and rim place and he had my Iroc's . He told me for rim's and tires $1100.00 and I asked what kind of tires and he kind of smiled and said china I just said how much for the rims. Two of my 18's are nice but two the chrome was fading so I got two for $350.00 and just bought a new set of tires on line. I love this no tax out of state on big purchases like My Jig's motor no frt. or tax. That will be here Tuesday while my truck is being re-painted.:beer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts