El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all buy parts from others and same with me and would like your opinion whether I should be upset ..I bought a set of manifolds for my 64 El Camino and this how they arrived . The guy I bought them off of said he did a good job of packing them .These are in order as I opened box ..nothing is left out ..obviously I got a broken one ..I just would like your opinion if these were packed for shipping adequately?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I would have done the same as ElkyBill (minus the towels) but definitely bubble wrap and wadded up kraft paper, primarily because I wouldn't want the things rattling loose in the box, gouging holes, etc. You stop that and you prevent almost any damage, short of the delivery driver dropping it off the back of the truck.
Whoever the seller was (if on our forum) should be embarrassed. Was there any shipping insurance?

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I've sent a lot of things to members and others! I would check with shipping insurance and see what they cover? I also would ask for 1/2 my money back if you could find a replacement or a full refund from him if not! Hopefully they weren't sent already broken and the sender was relying on the shipper to compensate for the damage! :unsure: Shades of E-Bay and Craigslist sellers! : ( Although I buy from both but have run into some real doozie's! Inexperienced and sub-par packing for sure! Anybody that has seen how the boxes go thru the delivery system would know better or common sense alone should have come into play! Good luck! (y)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would have done the same as ElkyBill (minus the towels) but definitely bubble wrap and wadded up kraft paper, primarily because I wouldn't want the things rattling loose in the box, gouging holes, etc. You stop that and you prevent almost any damage, short of the delivery driver dropping it off the back of the truck.
Whoever the seller was (if on our forum) should be embarrassed. Was there any shipping insurance?
I used old towels on heavy steel items in past cause they soften the sharp edges,no chance on bubble wrap being torn,just an extra pre caution.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree with the others.
Back in the day carriers actually took the time to protect items entrusted to them.
Now, not so much.

Therefore, one should know better and take a few extra precautions while packing.

BTW, is it me or??, but the bottom left picture has an 18+ to open.
I could only see 3 pics total.
Hope you get a refund or at least a partial one and be able to quickly source another one .

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am the guy that sold these and shipped them. I packed them in a heavy card board box and taped the crap out of it to make sure it did not break open and as you can see I put a cardboard piece between them to keep them from hitting each other. I admit it...Obviously I did not do it right. Or as we know UPS is not to gentle when shipping things. Should have used a larger box with bubble wrap or peas. Cast Iron? I would never have thought they could break them.

Look I have every intention to be fair to him. So don't think I am going to be like other people I have been screw by buying online. Geez they were only 30.00 and another 35.00 for shipping. I called UPS and they were suppose to send out a driver to inspect them and would refund the value I put on them... 50.00. So he did get one that is not damaged and will end up costing what I sold it for (15.00). UPS said to give them 5-7 days and asked Old dog to contact me if they had not. That was on the 5th. First text back from him was tonight as if I am going to screw him. Not appreciated and told me he was posting VERY interesting things about this. I could just blow him off but that is not me! He will be compensated and not because he posted this! ....No excuse but I am a very busy person. I love cars and my ElCo and this is only a hobby for me. I am not a side hustler ebay shyster as someone said.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sending Oldog 50.00 today.. Called UPS and they said they will take care of the claim. Learned a lot about shipping Cast Iron! Kind of like the saying, making fun of someone that breaks everything.. UPS...." You could break a cast iron cannonball!"

Reactions: 87ls5.3 and dmosko

·
Registered
338 Posts
@Arnold. I’m sure we’ve all learned. You’re a stand up gentleman. I don’t believe any poster said anything negative about you...perhaps the OP will make right if his email was harsh. Take care!

·
Registered
272 Posts
The UPS drivers don't like heavy packages. Last year I bought a fireclay Farmhouse sink for our kitchen remodel. Fortunately I was home and heard the truck outside. The driver was going to slide the box off the back of the truck and drag it up the driveway. I made him wait while I got my dolly....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We all buy parts from others and same with me and would like your opinion whether I should be upset ..I bought a set of manifolds for my 64 El Camino and this how they arrived . The guy I bought them off of said he did a good job of packing them .These are in order as I opened box ..nothing is left out ..obviously I got a broken one ..I just would like your opinion if these were packed for shipping adequately?
Absolutely not, too heavy and too much room to move around and get damaged.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am the guy that sold these and shipped them. I packed them in a heavy card board box and taped the crap out of it to make sure it did not break open and as you can see I put a cardboard piece between them to keep them from hitting each other. I admit it...Obviously I did not do it right. Or as we know UPS is not to gentle when shipping things. Should have used a larger box with bubble wrap or peas. Cast Iron? I would never have thought they could break them.
Didn't see this, very stand up sir.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)
In my original post I asked for an opinion without identifying the person ...HE decided to inject himself into the conversation like I am the reason these broke ....fine if it makes him feel better let him THINK it's my fault ....let him THINK he returned my money ....let him THINK he is a stand up guy ...I will close with asking You to THINK before doing ANY business with this guy ..I also will THANK the REAL stand up member who sent me a replacement header and would not accept payment ....end of this conversation

·
Registered
338 Posts
@Oldog, Hopefully your replacement (kudos to the member who donated it) mani will bolt right in and you'll be cruising down the road soon.

Really sad this occurred.....to BOTH of you.
The important thing is your Elky won't know the back story and should purr happily.

Have a great day guys! Life is short....enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
140 Posts
How could any of this be his fault? I owned up to that. I am sorry this happened and glad someone helped him out. Car guys are the best! I THINK I paid him back and thought he would be happy I did? Just want to make sure I do not get a bad rep or kicked off this site. I value it to much. I guess I have to show proof?.... End of this I hope?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts