El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped out my 4 1/4 turn lock to lock steering box for a 3 lock to lock. Problem is I had to buy a new Rag Joint and it seems to not want to totally tighten. It has a spot when going from straight road and then a lane change it has small point it slips. It is a 31 Spline with slot rag joint. Bought the box from NAPA and it calls for the 31 Spline.

Any suggestions? They have a 36 Spline Rag joint. The 31 has slot where 5 teeth would be. Wonder if a 36 Spline would work or did I just get a POS Chinese part from OReilly?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Try putting the old rag joint back on or maybe . . . rebuild your old rag joint using the new round reinforced rubber buffer piece from O'Reilly.

Rick

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
Well the old one I think was original and the teeth were looking bad as well as the rubber cracked. Chucked it. But you maybe right and I should have kept it bad teeth and all. Did not realize I could rebuild it. New crap is crap!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You read my mind!....Mines a 65 El Co. Yah I have considered doing this. Damn that is Cheap too! Rag joint is the same. So both Joints and Shaft?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 64 and eliminated the rag joint when I installed a Flaming River steering column. Two Flaming River U-joints and a Borgeson collapsible steering shaft. Easy to install and now I don't have to worry about getting speared by the steering column in a front end crash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention 36 and 31 spline are not interchangeable. See if you can find one at a wrecking yard if you don't want to go to U-joints and collapsible shaft.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Are you sure yours is 31 spline?

31 and 36 are 13/16" but there's a 25 spline that's 3/4" .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts