El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"...In the process, the cab was moved back into the bed, and the doors eliminated, which resulted in a set of sunroof-like doors. "

·
Registered
110 Posts
That almost makes me cry. Iconic cars trashed like that. Years ago saw a '63 split-window vette converted to a funny-car dragster, and just wanted to punch the builder. But thats me, I think some things are simply worth preserving.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think most of it was already gone so he salvaged what he could. as for the looks, I think it's kind of cool! reminds me of the Hot Wheels cars crossed with a rat-rod and patina

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I honestly think it’s beautiful. I agree that most rare examples should be preserved, but as stated above, who knows what he started with?

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,563 Posts
Come on guys that is bad ass, appreciate the build and the fact it’s not an import or a Ford 👍👍👍
its a 1of1 build its like a hot wheels rig who wouldn’t want to own and drive it at least once.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on guys that is bad ass, appreciate the build and the fact it’s not an import or a Ford 👍👍👍
its a 1of1 build it like a hot wheels rig who wouldn’t want to own and drive it at least once.
and for those that read the article and looked at the pics, did you see the roof-mounted shifter?

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,530 Posts
Pretty wild. I'd drive it. I'm pretty sure a basket case '59 was used as opposed to a mint condition original.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
First look I wanted to barf. Then it started to grow on me... Like cyberray said a hot wheels knockoff. Picture looks like decent craftsmanship executing his idea.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Well. It still needs opening or gull doors. Crawling through windows doesn't quite make it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, the article did say "His starting point was a very rusty El Camino that had been parked outside exposed to the elements. "

here's a good video of the doors and the shifter operation

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
That's the essence of customisation. I love it, others hate it, owner shouldn't care. Rare or not.
No truer words....

I’ve owned no fewer than 75 cars in my short life. One of the most beautiful was a ‘37 Chev coupe. My father in law gave it to me and only asked that I keep it original and don’t “hot rod” it. I kept that car for over thirty years and restored it to an immaculate condition. But I hated it. In my mind, it was never really mine because I was a hostage to it. Every time I drove it I got stares and thumbs-up, but it just wasn’t me. I finally sold it to a guy who was all into the originality thing. Looking at this ‘59 really gets my soul stirring. I wish I had the talent to shape metal like that guy so I could have a true Rat Fink rod of my own making. Any of us can restore a car to its original beauty. Very few of us can make a ride like that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well that's the thing about Rat-finks and the customs done by people like Boyd Coddington, they aren't a car. It's not an Olds or Chevy or Ford. It's a Boyd. You might have a Dodge frame, mustang ii steering, Chevy drive train, Ford rear-end and a mixture of aftermarket and non specific parts. Those are awesome to look at, true rat-fink original and unique. But that 59 is a 59 twisted to fit a hot wheels idea and not even finished. A-pillars still look like the day the Sawzall hacked up the roofline.

Imho, it might have been a father+son labor of love thing, but it doesn't seem a father/son + car labor of love thing.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No truer words....

One of the most beautiful was a ‘37 Chev coupe. My father in law gave it to me and only asked that I keep it original and don’t “hot rod” it. I kept that car for over thirty years and restored it to an immaculate condition. But I hated it. In my mind, it was never really mine because I was a hostage to it. Every time I drove it I got stares and thumbs-up, but it just wasn’t me. I finally sold it to a guy who was all into the originality thing.

sounds like you experienced Gran Torino...although I'm sure your FiL was a bit more polite about it...

And to my friend, Tao Vang Lor, I leave my 1972 Gran Torino on the condition that you don't choptop the roof like a <cupcake>, don't paint any idiotic flames on it like some white-trash hillbilly and don't put a big gay spoiler on the rear-end like you see on all the other zipper heads' cars. It just looks like hell. If you can refrain from doing any of that, it's yours.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Never been a fan of the patina look. I'm an old Marine Sergeant and it just isn't a squared-away look for me. If it had a first-rate paint job, I would be drawn to take a second look, but the "finish" leaves me expecting a rat's nest for wiring, along with other sub-standard work. I KNOW that doesn't necessarily follow, but for me it just doesn't give the appearance of a first-rate Rod where attention to detail is expected throughout.

Semper Fi,

Doc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts