El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we finally got the beast running this afternoon! After going through the fuel system, having the carb cleaned and gone through, having the alternator checked out, and installing new belts, she came alive.

It started out with hesitation, but I had a feeling the carb just needed to do two things: 1) actually run with clean gas (which we put in and made sure was going through the lines). 2) warm up and get used to having gas sent through it after being rebuilt. After that, the throttle response is what I expected, and it idles like I expected.

Going from a 250 L-6 to a 402 with a slightly steeper cam (literally - just about one step above stock) is mind-blowing. Now I can't wait to get the rims back from being sand-blasted and paint them and take it down the road for the first time. Battling 6 years of problems created from a car sitting in the same spot is not fun. I just keep getting a little ticked when I know the condition that the car could be in. But oh well...we'll get it back the way it was. :)

BTW: I should have pics soon. We just need to take a couple more pictures to complete the roll and then we're having them put onto disk. :-D

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Ahh yes I remember the feeling of firing up a motor for the first time. Seems like just a week or 2 ago..... Wait a minute it was a week or 2 ago. :-D

Congrats on getting it running again. 8) I don't which is better: firing it up for the first time or driving it for the first time. Both are an enjoyment all their own.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Congrats! I can't wait to hear from you about the difference in how much your fuel costs are for each 100 miles with the new engine compared with those same costs from the last time it was on the road. But who wants to quibble over such a minor detail?? The person who defined a boat as "a hole in the water into which you throw money" should have a great time making up a definition of resurrecting old Elkies. Keep up the progress.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we got under it yesterday and found the brake lines rusted beyond belief. It's a good thing we ordered a stainless steel kit for it...but not soon enough I'm afraid. :( I have to go back up to school by monday, and the kit won't be here 'til about wednesday - so I'm going to have to borrow a car untill we get the kit. Bummer. :( I can listen to it, but not drive it. Talk about depressing!

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Electrodynamic said:
Well we got under it yesterday and found the brake lines rusted beyond belief.
Better that you learned that now, rather than driving back & forth to school 8O

Sorry for the delay....But it'll be worth it in the end!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll ditto on that! Rusty brake lines have a habbit of showing themselves at the worst possible moments 8O - good thing you're solving it now before you've got the car moving!

Another good idea (in case you hadn't done it yet) is to change out the short rubber fuel line between the tank and the hard line- Only about 4 or 5 inches long- but most i have seen are rotted... Easy quick fix.

Can't wait to see your pics!!! :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well well well...it's story time! :)

We ordered a new stainless steel brake line kit from Inline Tube up in MN and the lines came within 3 days, which is amazing because they say it "takes 48 to make them, and then 3-5 days to ship." I'm not complaining though because now I actually get to drive my car back up to school instead of taking someone elses for a little while.

So we got all the rusty lines off (very very rusty and the fittings were very very stuck - Kroil did the majic once again getting the suckers loose). We didn't think we could re-use the prop valve (or distribution center) so we went and got one from Master Power Brakes since it's a 10 minute drive from where we live. We got their prop valve back and found out that it won't work with the fittings...even though MPB recommends Inline Tube for brake lines. :?

In any case, we only have one more run to make - from the dist. center to the rear, but we'll get that done tomorrow morning. We've replaced the springs in the drums (the shoes and drums were surprisingly in great shape), bought rebuilt calipers, replaced all the rubber brake lines, replaced all the rusted lines with stainless lines, and bought new brake pads and rotors for the front. Oh yeah, and re-lubed everything with Mobil1. Whew!

I finished the other roll of film today, so when we have it developed we're having the pics put on a CD. I will get you guys pics, I promise! :-D

And I've also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires and also re-painted the rims and just had new BFG T/A Radial 235/60 14's put on. I can't wait to get this sucker moving! I'll post on how it drives tomorrow if everything goes well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts