El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've never really cared much about audio quality, I do like to listen to it loud sometimes but in general as long as I can hear it it's good enough. (My beat up old nissan PU that was my daily driver before my elky had just a set of compaq computer speakers that I rigged into it 3 years ago). Anyhow, I pulled the little Jensen CD/MP3 Player out of my wifes old van (transmission junked out) and installed it in my elky to find that only one speaker almost worked.... bummer. Well, I hate wal-mart in general but my wife was there so I called her and had her get me the "cheapest set of speakers in a carpet covered box and a small 2channel amp." I expected it to be around $40 for the speakers and $50 for the amp. I wanted one of those boxed unit so I could just toss it behing the seats and be done with it for now. Well, she brought home a box about 2.5-3 feet wide that had two 6.5" speakers and two smaller speakers. It was perfect, worked great. It was only $15.

Now I am a true believer in "you get what you pay for" but these sounded great to me and if they last a month I got my moneys worth. She also brought home a Sony Xplode 222w amp (2 channel x 100 watt peak per chan). It was $79 and seems to work good. These speakers thump quite well, I'm happy everytime I listen to it. So today my wife went to walmart again and I had her get me a 2nd set. They fit perfectly, one box behind each seat. So one box is LEFT and the other box is RIGHT.

When I added the 2nd box it dramatically increased loudness and quality 2 fold. The sony amp has an adjustor knob to make it louder, it is still in the factory halfway setting. The system cranks louder than I can stand and doesn't distort. It thumps nice and heavy yet the vocals all sound great.

Anyhow... at $15 bucks a set they ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way a cheapskate... not afraid to spend money to do something right... but with audio systems I've never really cared that much so I would rather put the money towards other parts of my car... and believe me, there are plenty of other parts of my car that need it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great...i should consider those to replace the home theater speakers that are currently behind my seats :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well when I want sound, I have my computer speakers its a 5 piece system. I stick the DC/AC converterin the cigarette socket and sit it under the seat with the cords. and the speaker stand hook into the seatbelt hole quite well and hang there and then I stick the other two speakers under the seat pointed out and up. and hten I have the 10" sub on the hump behidn the seat and crank it doesn't "thump" but it has great sound and then I plug it into a cd playerunder the seat. all you see it one cord comign from the dash and great sound what more could you ask for?? It works why fix it otherwise?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts