El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! As some of you know, my future plans for my El Camino are big! I want a mild built 454 dropped between my fenders! Then I got to thinkin the other day... Iv never drove a big block! The closest thing to a BB would be a diesel truck. They classify ALL those as big blocks lol.

On the same subject, my mom calls me the other day and says her bf got gave an old truck. Didnt think much abou it. Went and looked at it, it was a Ford F-350, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. Popped the hood and looked around and found the fan belt routing. It was a 7.5L! Aka 460 BIG BLOCK! I hopped in it and took it down a paved road figuring it would have an outragous amount of torque, stomped the gas AND... the tranny slipped. Struggled into 2nd and wouldnt even go into 3rd. No wonder it was free. I was dismayed to say the least lol. My question is: Whats it like to drive a big block? Whats it like to drive a BB after having a SB? Is it worth the poor gas mileage?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hell ya, I went from my 350 elky to my uncels 74 laguna 468 it is unreal that the power is that much sometimes.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I haven't driven a big block in over 20 years until Saturday night, at the Little River Drag Way. DDD let me take his amazingly gorgeous Yellow Rose down the track, and now all I can think of is wanting a big block to call my very own!!
The difference between driving a small block and a big block is like the difference between driving a kind of fast car and a REALLY REALLY FAST CAR!! It's like the difference between night and day.
Since I already get poor gas mileage, that wouldn't even factor in to my decision to have a big block. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Big Blocks.

400 cid is the largest stock small block. 396 is the smallest stock big block. Stock big blocks make tons of low end torque which helps get you moving quicker. Splayed valves make for a more efficent engine as far as air flow through the engine. Ive actually noticed less pedal travel in two chevelles of the same year in the big block car to reach the same speed. Like the old saying goes" Theres no substitute for cubic inches".

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
In aftermarket parts you could have a 450ci Gen1(small block) engine or in the LSX (lighter than gen1sbc)aftermarket, you could have 500 ci. One of the new gm crate lsx engines is over 700 hp.
As you might have noticed from driving the (Found Off The Road Dying) 460, Cubic inches comes in second place to a proper healthy setup.
Here,s a reasonably low budget high powered thought for you to think about. You can find a medium to higher mileage 5.3 ls truck engine or the larger 6 liter engine & do a poorman,s turbo setup on it. The increased piston clearance of the higher mileage engines actually makes them more suitable for forced induction. There was a short wheel base 4wd full size chevy in hot rod magazine years ago with a 6 liter & homebuilt turbo that would run 10's in 4wd with stock wheels & firestone tires.
How's that sound???

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
There is no feeling like just slowly pushing down on the pedal in second gear about 25 mph and feel it start wiggling around on the pavement and throwing your neck out of place and as the secondaries gradually open pressing you harder and harder into the seat.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Iv officially been bit! I took a treck down to a dealership and did something I thought Id never do: Traded my 2011 Ranger in on a 1992 F-250. Going along with the title of this thread: Its got a 460 big block! 2 door, long bed, auto, 4x4. Its sweet! It was in awesome shape so I couldnt pass it up.

On my way home, I came up on about 3 slow moving cars and my adrenaline starts pumping. I finally get to open this thing up! I put my foot into it (but not floored) and it puts me back in my seat! The truck reaches 80 in no time and still was pullin hard! I was amazed! Im in love! :inlove:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts