El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nanawrench:i have a 72 ss el camino i think !i want to start a resto but how can i be shure its a real ss .its not a big block car .i decoded the vin i now its a custum elco 350 2bbl motor car. its got all the trimings dash tailgate plate badges looks like original red paint with cowl hood its got a crate motor what is the deal is there a way to prove a non big block car is ss with out build sheet or original motor or is it imposible

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Gotta have the build sheet. The SS trim package was available with any v8 engine combo on the custom.

Welcome by the way... from another '72 owner. Mine's no SS.... but will be far better than one when I'm done with it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
fyi

GM Literature for the 1972 El Camino

I bought a brand new one in 1972, SS, 350-4bbl, bucket seats, Auto trans column shift, PS, PB, tinted glass, posi. It was a sales manager demo at a big dealer in Grand Rapids, MI. They had just installed the GM accessory "Flame Decal" when I showed up and bought the truck one day. Sales manager came back from a long weeked to find out the car was sold out from under him. It was the only 72 SS they had on the entire lot of 100's of Chevys.

Here is the only pic I have of it, taken by my mother and found many years later in a box of old photos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts