El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm doing all the body work and the car isn't being driven anywhere, I was thinking about tinkering with a spare 7.5 rear end to try and swap ring and pinion gears. I really want to upgrade the ones under the car, so I thought some practice wouldn't hurt...unless someone in Texas already has a 7.5 with better gears they're willing to part with. :texas: :beer: Any suggestions?

· Registered
2,102 Posts
depending on what trans you have and how you drive your car will deturmine what gear you should realisticaly run.if you have an overdrive trans you can run a lot of gear and be ok .if you have a non overdrive you dont to run much more than 308 or 323 gears.you can get them from junkyards for about 100$ for the carrier and ring and pinion,make sure if you do to get all of the shims.camaro and blazer,astro all use the same ring and pinion.you will need to get new 28 spline axles,gn axles. summit sells new for 250 a set

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm confident I can get this rear end thing. I've got a set of 3.42 for a series 2 carrier just sitting in the box, so they'll go in as soon as I'm sure what I'm doing. I'd love to swap the entire rear, but I'm not going to do that unless I can find an 8.5. There's no need for me to have a 9' or a 12 bolt just running on the street, and I'm not gonna dump a ton of money into a 7.5 . :texas:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.