El Camino Central Forum banner

Do you have plans for your Elky when you are gone?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking about his Poll question for a while now and with the passing of one of our region 6 members ( Randy Turner ( Rtawk ) last month and reading an article somewhere that a guys dying wish was to take his "last ride" in a Elky. But this isn't all about the grim reaper but also about what your Elky means to you. So to start I hope to pass mine on to my boys who are both somewhat car guess but not so much mid 80s GM iron LOL ! I have been working on a home project for months now and only working on the Elky when something needs to done like last months water pump. Today I was building some shelves out in the carport and the Elky was out in the yard. Now for some who know my Elky it's no show car but as I took a break for a afternoon down pour I sat looking at my Elky and it just makes me happy, I think even if it was up on jack stands and not moving I would feel the same. I have told the story on the forum before about how I got this Elky and now it just feels like part of the family. I never did name it (my youngest son names all his cars) I always just refer to it as the "Elky", "I'm take the Elky up to the store", "the Elky is not feeling well today" ! The poll question is simple "Do you have plans for your Elky when you are gone?" but the responses are the real story! I read tons of post on FB and on the forum about sons and daughters and all kinds of family members and even friends having Elky's passed along to them and even know the story are sad the passing along of something we loved so much is very cool ! As always thank you in advance for you reading my long poll questions and for your responses !

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
I want to give mine back to my son. It's been a family project. His grandfather gave him the 73 which he rebuilt the engine. He then bought the 78 at a farm auction and put the engine in it. I bought it from him because I wanted a project to work on. He helped me with thoughts on what improvements I needed to do to work with the cam that he put in the engine. That engine is still in it and working. The wife and I have made it look great , while we learned how to make better. It's not perfect but looks excellent for a first project car.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,218 Posts
None of my kids has any interest, 3 are grown and in family relationships, but too young to have anything extra to give a vehicle. The last kid at home, she's oblivious. Just get her a nice little Honda, with its gimmicks like wifi/BT radio and she's good. My wife likes hot rods, muscle cars etc, but is clueless about doing anything other than driving one. Since nobody in the family has any understanding or real desire, she'll likely be sold shortly after, hopefully to someone who does.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,218 Posts
It seems WE are the cars we love so much. A dying breed of car owners the future generations have very little interest in other than a quick look at an oddity. Not quick, hard to fix right, gas guzzlers with little in the way of modern comforts or conveniences. Won't be all that long before the only place to find us will be in the pages of Wikipedia. That's heartbreaking to realize that your legacy means nothing to anyone else but you. Sure there will be a few die-hards, but not going to be many more generations before the Elky is nothing more than a foot-note in the annals of History.

·
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems WE are the cars we love so much. A dying breed of car owners the future generations have very little interest in other than a quick look at an oddity. Not quick, hard to fix right, gas guzzlers with little in the way of modern comforts or conveniences. Won't be all that long before the only place to find us will be in the pages of Wikipedia. That's heartbreaking to realize that your legacy means nothing to anyone else but you. Sure there will be a few die-hards, but not going to be many more generations before the Elky is nothing more than a foot-note in the annals of History.
Sad but well said, let's hope it's not a 100% true! Sometimes it takes time for the younger generations to appreciate past generations. I talk about my dad all the time who would have been 102 next week who lived through the great depression, who's own dad passed when he was 10 and he help his mom support his 3 sisters by shinning shoe's for a nickel on the Staten island ferry. I hope my Elky keeps me and my generation contacted to my son's and future generations in that same way !

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,648 Posts
Matt , A close friend of mine would often say that I can keep my house , boat , garage and everything else but to leave him my 87 Camino when I kicked the bucket . Unfortunately , he recently passed away and I just sold the 87 . With the 59 I recently purchased , it will be no problem for my younger wife to sell it at some point . I am constantly asked about it and if it is for sale . I jokingly tell my wife it` a chick magnet . Like others , I wonder about what will become of our rides in the future . With the popularity going on now , I think things will be that other young drivers will continue and enjoy the things we are doing now . How many Model T Fords are still on the road and being enjoyed generations later . We will continue to lose vehicles from time , accidents and parting out , making the survivors more valuable both monetarily and loved by others . As we age , it is easy to think like others before us that " This " , generation is lost . Hey , lets not count them out . The classics like the Tri-fives , Cudas , Camereos etc will still be covereted and other models will go along with them . Perhaps electrifying them will be necessary due to a shortage of affordable gasoline or maybe an affordable synthetic fuel can be produced . Things change and go up and down and I think the interest in our rides will continue to be strong and in good hands ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The El Cannibal (it makes me bleed in many ways every time I touch it) goes to my youngest son. He is interested in cars and will take care of it. I gave a hot rod dodge truck to the oldest son and he gets my submariner as well.

·
Registered
1966 Camino
122 Posts
I have three daughters, two of them are fighting over it at this point. I should have another 20 to 30 years with it before they can have it though. The third would like it but she's so short her feet don't come close to the pedals. Between the three of them they will be able to split up the '66 El Camino, '58 Bug and my wife's '64 1/2 Mustang in some equitable fashion when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
So I have been thinking about his Poll question for a while now and with the passing of one of our region 6 members ( Randy Turner ( Rtawk ) last month and reading an article somewhere that a guys dying wish was to take his "last ride" in a Elky. But this isn't all about the grim reaper but also about what your Elky means to you. So to start I hope to pass mine on to my boys who are both somewhat car guess but not so much mid 80s GM iron LOL ! I have been working on a home project for months now and only working on the Elky when something needs to done like last months water pump. Today I was building some shelves out in the carport and the Elky was out in the yard. Now for some who know my Elky it's no show car but as I took a break for a afternoon down pour I sat looking at my Elky and it just makes me happy, I think even if it was up on jack stands and not moving I would feel the same. I have told the story on the forum before about how I got this Elky and now it just feels like part of the family. I never did name it (my youngest son names all his cars) I always just refer to it as the "Elky", "I'm take the Elky up to the store", "the Elky is not feeling well today" ! The poll question is simple "Do you have plans for your Elky when you are gone?" but the responses are the real story! I read tons of post on FB and on the forum about sons and daughters and all kinds of family members and even friends having Elky's passed along to them and even know the story are sad the passing along of something we loved so much is very cool ! As always thank you in advance for you reading my long poll questions and for your responses !
It took me a minute to figure this one out. What do you mean when I’m gone, where am I going? Like many of our members I am a senior citizen so now I get it. I will sell mine before I go so my wife will get the most she can for it.
Our younger son liked to drive my Conquista before he passed away 13 years ago. Neither my older son or wife has any interest in keeping my current SS.

·
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt , A close friend of mine would often say that I can keep my house , boat , garage and everything else but to leave him my 87 Camino when I kicked the bucket . Unfortunately , he recently passed away and I just sold the 87 . With the 59 I recently purchased , it will be no problem for my younger wife to sell it at some point . I am constantly asked about it and if it is for sale . I jokingly tell my wife it` a chick magnet . Like others , I wonder about what will become of our rides in the future . With the popularity going on now , I think things will be that other young drivers will continue and enjoy the things we are doing now . How many Model T Fords are still on the road and being enjoyed generations later . We will continue to lose vehicles from time , accidents and parting out , making the survivors more valuable both monetarily and loved by others . As we age , it is easy to think like others before us that " This " , generation is lost . Hey , lets not count them out . The classics like the Tri-fives , Cudas , Camereos etc will still be covereted and other models will go along with them . Perhaps electrifying them will be necessary due to a shortage of affordable gasoline or maybe an affordable synthetic fuel can be produced . Things change and go up and down and I think the interest in our rides will continue to be strong and in good hands ;)
Well said, thank you Lenny !

·
Premium Member
1987 GMC Caballero, 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
1,064 Posts
When I built my Caballero, my grandson helped me with the cherry picker. Old engine out & new engine in. He's an Airman in the US Airforce, stationed in Italy now, but claims his sweat equity in grandpa's truck.
His dad helped me put the carpet kit & seats in and claims his sweat equity. Oh, he's the executor of our trust & pour-over will, that includes the Caballero. I don't need to be concerned with what happens when I'm gone. They will work it out.

·
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for everyone who responded, like I said I thought long and hard before posting this months poll question because the topic may not really fit the forum. When I was still out in the field doing inspections I ran across a guy selling is beloved 65 Ford Fairlane he had since Highschool. We started talking and he said because of blocked arteries in his neck he could no longer work on it. It made me sad for two reasons, one for him knowing he didn't want to sell it but also just to want to let it sit and second because I thought someday I may have to do the same thing. Then a couple years ago I was watching Full custom garage and Ian had befriended Gene Winfield and even later bought property out in the desert right by Gene. At 93 Gene was still chopping tops and leading seams, one day they may find Gene in his shop worked on his last custom but until that day he is doing what he loves. To many of us have seen friends and love ones spend there last days not really living, so lets all hope we can still keep enjoying our rides to the last day !

1 - 20 of 45 Posts