El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 SS has what I assume is the original engine with 169k on it. After sitting for a while she smokes when first cranked then quits, a mechanic told me that I have a valve leaking some oil into the cylinder causing the smoke. Any additives on the market that anyone has tried and it worked like Engine Restorer ect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 84 SS has what I assume is the original engine with 169k on it. After sitting for a while she smokes when first cranked then quits, a mechanic told me that I have a valve leaking some oil into the cylinder causing the smoke. Any additives on the market that anyone has tried and it worked like Engine Restorer ect.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't use any of them snake oils to fix a mechanical issue. Sounds like valve guides and seals to me though!!
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
231 Posts
had same thing on a 4.3 s10. tried lots of additives with no luck. probally gonna need valve seals and guides !

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Morning capt. Seems the valve seals need replacing. Would also be a good time to do a compression test and or a lekdown test to determine the overall condition of your engine. If all else checks out good its a weekend fix for most in your own shop. Or pay big$$ for someone else...cheers

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yep, valve stem seals. I had a 4.3 in an 85 Impala that was like that; it ran well for years like that. (It wasn't my car, it was a loaner from my wife's family, and they didn't see any need to fix it.) Patrick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guy's, looks like I need to spend some money I don't have. I'll get her done eventually though, don't want my girl looking bad around a crowd. Ken:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Typical.....my '92 Chevy pickup 4.3 has been doing it for years. Doesn't seem to use much oil though, so I live with it until major overhaul time.
Had an '88 van with a 350 that did the same thing when the miles got up near 200k.
Having new guides installed (with the heads off of course) isn't cheap, but replacing the seals yourself isn't much fun either:smileyb:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The seals themselves are pretty cheap. Search the internet and find instructions that explain how to change them and see if you can handle the job yourself. If you feel you can't do the job,
find a shade tree mechanic to change them. You will save a few coins that way. :texas::beer::dontknow:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
If you're not burning a bunch of oil and smoking a lot, leave it alone. Nothing is going to fail and leave you stranded somewhere. If this engine is ever rebuilt then the seals and guides can be addressed.

Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts