El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
279 Posts
Update:in reference to the way your blinker dash light stays on when you turn headlights on...... My car did this same thing tonight,after trouble shooting I found a bulb on same side that blinker dash light was staying on. So, maybe that's why yours does this too. I know You have more issues then just this, but hopefully that's one of them,and its simple. So check ALL LIGHTS on that side. Also, I noticed when my front marker/turn signal bulb (2057) was taken out of socket,the marker/turn signal quarter panel went out completely. Seems it was dependant on the front bulb being plugged in. I found this wired. It was like it was wired in series,instead of parallel. I checked all wiring,the bulbs,(even changed em). Wiring is stock . and in good condition. I'm so interested in why this is ,that I will be downloading/studying wire diagram soon. Just thought you should know for when your figuiring out your running lights issue. Point is to check all bulbs in the circuit as they seem to affect one another .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will agree with everyone and see if i can post some basic pictures.
ground behind right side head goes to the wire harness going to the ECU.
Ground behind the left side head bolts to the firewall.
I had to use the battery to fender connection to join up to the grounds for the front lights
If anything has been apart most connectors should snap in place.
Rear lights and fuel connections plug into lower part of the fuse box.
I did have a problem years ago with the engine harness and fuse box being loose causing havoc One screw loose
Radio problem and dash sill not cause all the problems so my suggestion is to look at grounds, fuse box and connections attached to the steering shaft above your feet if you are sitting in the vehicle.
Its a twisty thing when laying on your back but it has to be checked.
I have one more dash rebuild to go and then i quit. Between Alfa Romeos and Caminos I gave up back pain and will soon retire.
I will attach pictures and help as I can did anyone get his location?
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Louie, the marker lights are wired differently on these. They blink the same when the lights are not on and blink alternately when they are.
Tom
You don’t need a relay. Hook your marker light wires to the turn signal hot and the parking light hot. When the turn signal is on the marker gets its ground through the parking light filament and flashes the same as the turn signal. When the lights are on the marker gets its ground through the turn signal filament so when you turn on the turn signal it has 2 hots going to the marker and shuts off. When the turn signal blinks off the ground comes back and the marker lights. Thus the alternating on and off. Hope I explained it ok.
Tom

·
Registered
279 Posts
Louie, the marker lights are wired differently on these. They blink the same when the lights are not on and blink alternately when they are.
Tom
I knew it was something like a shared wire like that! Boy ,that was nagging at my brain,like a itch,...I had to read few times,and visualize, and then it clicked. thanks for explaining so well. So the point is to get them to blink alternative when all lights are on,hmmm. Unique.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I will agree with everyone and see if i can post some basic pictures.
ground behind right side head goes to the wire harness going to the ECU.
Ground behind the left side head bolts to the firewall.
I had to use the battery to fender connection to join up to the grounds for the front lights
If anything has been apart most connectors should snap in place.
Rear lights and fuel connections plug into lower part of the fuse box.
I did have a problem years ago with the engine harness and fuse box being loose causing havoc One screw loose
Radio problem and dash sill not cause all the problems so my suggestion is to look at grounds, fuse box and connections attached to the steering shaft above your feet if you are sitting in the vehicle.
Its a twisty thing when laying on your back but it has to be checked.
I have one more dash rebuild to go and then i quit. Between Alfa Romeos and Caminos I gave up back pain and will soon retire.
I will attach pictures and help as I can did anyone get his location?
Joe
That pic of harness laid out is a visual road map! Great stuff! He can't go wrong with that! I'm even saving that pic,lol. Thumbs up,he can't fail now.......well....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
UPDATE: I checked all the fuses, every single one is getting the power it needs. I found the CSTY fuse was gone, replaced that and now the clock, and all the interior lights work... but now my radio doesn't work for some reason. The right turn signal bulb still came on with the headlights even after the hazard/lighting fuse that controls them was taken out.. not sure how that works. The wipers also work kinda now, only on the max setting and they move maybe 2 inches. I think thats more of a motor and linkage issue though.

I checked all my grounds, cleaned a few off under the car, and added one from the battery to the fender that it was missing. Under the dash ground looks great, cleaned it anyway. I noticed that every once in a while while I working with the fuses and grounds, my fuel gauge would start to be normal, but when the key was clicked on, it went and pegged itself past full again. I took my gauge cluster out and noted that while I was taking it out, the clock would stop and start working.

Looking at the back of the cluster.. it's really gross. 30 something years of dust and dirt. It doesn't look great, some of the lines look very faded, there's a chunk taken out of the left side of it, the spot where it connects to the harness has some discoloration that almost looks like burns(?) Next step would be testing if any of the lights work but I'm not sure how to do that.
Sleeve Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Eyewear

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,603 Posts
UPDATE: I checked all the fuses, every single one is getting the power it needs. I found the CSTY fuse was gone, replaced that and now the clock, and all the interior lights work... but now my radio doesn't work for some reason. The right turn signal bulb still came on with the headlights even after the hazard/lighting fuse that controls them was taken out.. not sure how that works. The wipers also work kinda now, only on the max setting and they move maybe 2 inches. I think thats more of a motor and linkage issue though.

I checked all my grounds, cleaned a few off under the car, and added one from the battery to the fender that it was missing. Under the dash ground looks great, cleaned it anyway. I noticed that every once in a while while I working with the fuses and grounds, my fuel gauge would start to be normal, but when the key was clicked on, it went and pegged itself past full again. I took my gauge cluster out and noted that while I was taking it out, the clock would stop and start working.

Looking at the back of the cluster.. it's really gross. 30 something years of dust and dirt. It doesn't look great, some of the lines look very faded, there's a chunk taken out of the left side of it, the spot where it connects to the harness has some discoloration that almost looks like burns(?) Next step would be testing if any of the lights work but I'm not sure how to do that.
good work so far! the wipers also have a circuit board that some of our more knowledgeable members can fill you in on. those are no longer made and you usually have to find a junkyard with a G-body in it as a donor.
regarding your gauge cluster, the mylar circuit is also no longer available so be careful with it as they get brittle with age. carefully inspect the circuits and remove the bulbs and check the contacts. check contacts for fuel and clock. those are replaceable as we have several vendors who find this stuff and part it out. Dixie Monte Carlo is one of them, Dixie Restoration Depot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
good work so far! the wipers also have a circuit board that some of our more knowledgeable members can fill you in on. those are no longer made and you usually have to find a junkyard with a G-body in it as a donor.
regarding your gauge cluster, the mylar circuit is also no longer available so be careful with it as they get brittle with age. carefully inspect the circuits and remove the bulbs and check the contacts. check contacts for fuel and clock. those are replaceable as we have several vendors who find this stuff and part it out. Dixie Monte Carlo is one of them, Dixie Restoration Depot
What am I looking for when I'm checking contacts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
OOOOh a dash with out a Tach. OK if you do put it back together without the bezel assembly push in the lower right corner where the mylar contacts the rigid wires behind the gauge cluster. I have to do that almost every month to get my fuel level and voltage gauge to read correctly.
I did put a ground wire jumper to the Mylar ground years ago and that fixed several dash problems but that was mee being a electrical stubborn person.
When I put mine together for the last time I will be looking to be ripping out the mylar and soldering a permanent connector. About 1 year away from that process.
I can provide close in pictures of harness assembly if necessary. G-Body between the years 82-85 which are in boxes on my shelves.
Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OOOOh a dash with out a Tach. OK if you do put it back together without the bezel assembly push in the lower right corner where the mylar contacts the rigid wires behind the gauge cluster. I have to do that almost every month to get my fuel level and voltage gauge to read correctly.
I did put a ground wire jumper to the Mylar ground years ago and that fixed several dash problems but that was mee being a electrical stubborn person.
When I put mine together for the last time I will be looking to be ripping out the mylar and soldering a permanent connector. About 1 year away from that process.
I can provide close in pictures of harness assembly if necessary. G-Body between the years 82-85 which are in boxes on my shelves.
Joe
sad thing is that I tried pushing in the right side when it was still in but it didn't do anything. I'm gonna clean up the circuit and put it back in tomorrow and see if things just needed to be jiggled around. what did that ground jumper do and how'd you do it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also reading your wiper issue mine does not work with the intermittent mode. you may have to verify the wiper motor is correct for your switch assembly. I push that issue off to others since I live without it for now.
Radio is another problem which should be your last if everything else works.
Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
also how hard would it be to just put an ss cluster in. Do the fuel, volt, oil, and temp gauges just work as they should? I know you have to do some stuff with the tach wiring. but it may be cheaper to get a tested good cluster than try to fix or replace the circuit on the back of my current cluster

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Any SS cluster new from Dakota Digital or original won't be inexpensive. But one from Dakota Digital would be easier, IMHO. My sweep cluster only had two gauges and a bunch of idiot lights that didn't work so it wasn't much of a decision.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,603 Posts
Another thing just came to mind. Previous owner put the front clip of a 79 on my 84. Meaning I only have 2 headlights instead of 4. Could that be an issue for my turn signal at all?
absolutely, considering that is also a different wiring harness for a different set of headlights.
78-81=wiring hrness handles headlight bulb with high AND low beams
82-87=wiring harness handles separate headlight bulbs with high OR low beams

I'm sure it could be made to work, and has probably been documented on this site somewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
absolutely, considering that is also a different wiring harness for a different set of headlights.
78-81=wiring hrness handles headlight bulb with high AND low beams
82-87=wiring harness handles separate headlight bulbs with high OR low beams

I'm sure it could be made to work, and has probably been documented on this site somewhere.
okay, that might explain why the highbeam switch is always on then, I can see the old headlight connectors when I look at the set up he put together. this is so weird.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
alright so I ordered a pack of bulbs, I'm going to put those in the cluster and put it back in and see what happens, if that doesn't work, I'm gonna get a replacement PCB and try that. If THAT doesn't work then I'm gonna....do something.. I don't know I'm banking on one of those two things working out for me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very new to Elcos, I quite literally got my first one about a week ago. I'm not unfamiliar with cars and repairing them, but I'm already stumped with this one. I'm working with an 84 Conquista 305

As of right now I'm chasing some odd electrical issues... and none of it makes sense to me.

I have no gauge lights save for my right turn signal light that stays on permanently when the headlights are on. When the headlights are on, my bright dash light comes on even if the brights are off, and the top corner of the check engine light... lights up. My radio, AC, glove box, and overhead lights don't work. My left turn signal light doesn't come on but the signal itself does work, but only when you hold the stalk down, if you just click it normally, the turn signal stays on and doesn't blink. The wipers don't work. The hazards work fine. I haven't gotten the car running yet so I can't check if the actual speedo works or any of the idiot lights but the clock does NOT work and the knob to adjust it broke off.

When the key is clicked on, the radio works but only the driver's side speaker, and the check engine and brake light come on. Which is probably the only correctly working thing in the car right now :rolleyes: I would check fuses but I have no idea which ones to check and there doesn't seem to be any diagrams labelling exactly what fuses to check..
Get yourself a set of shop manuals or even a Chilton manual on your el camino can help. Good luck!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very new to Elcos, I quite literally got my first one about a week ago. I'm not unfamiliar with cars and repairing them, but I'm already stumped with this one. I'm working with an 84 Conquista 305

As of right now I'm chasing some odd electrical issues... and none of it makes sense to me.

I have no gauge lights save for my right turn signal light that stays on permanently when the headlights are on. When the headlights are on, my bright dash light comes on even if the brights are off, and the top corner of the check engine light... lights up. My radio, AC, glove box, and overhead lights don't work. My left turn signal light doesn't come on but the signal itself does work, but only when you hold the stalk down, if you just click it normally, the turn signal stays on and doesn't blink. The wipers don't work. The hazards work fine. I haven't gotten the car running yet so I can't check if the actual speedo works or any of the idiot lights but the clock does NOT work and the knob to adjust it broke off.

When the key is clicked on, the radio works but only the driver's side speaker, and the check engine and brake light come on. Which is probably the only correctly working thing in the car right now :rolleyes: I would check fuses but I have no idea which ones to check and there doesn't seem to be any diagrams labelling exactly what fuses to check..
Sounds like a ground wire on rear tail light

21 - 40 of 49 Posts