El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have almost the exact same problem with my ‘65. Everything works just fine but the dash panel. Turn signal indicators (no problems with the actual lights. They all work fine) light up when the head lights turn on, only one dash liight comes on, and the high beam indicator is backwards, fuel gauge suddenly pegs on empty, and the power to the lighter socket drops to around 7 volts. I’m working it out a little at a time, and will check the steering column connections and the fuse block (again) before I pull the dash bezel. Definitely a ground problem under the dash. I’ll let you know what I find. Car show on Saturday, so I’m doing a lot of little cosmetics first!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very new to Elcos, I quite literally got my first one about a week ago. I'm not unfamiliar with cars and repairing them, but I'm already stumped with this one. I'm working with an 84 Conquista 305

As of right now I'm chasing some odd electrical issues... and none of it makes sense to me.

I have no gauge lights save for my right turn signal light that stays on permanently when the headlights are on. When the headlights are on, my bright dash light comes on even if the brights are off, and the top corner of the check engine light... lights up. My radio, AC, glove box, and overhead lights don't work. My left turn signal light doesn't come on but the signal itself does work, but only when you hold the stalk down, if you just click it normally, the turn signal stays on and doesn't blink. The wipers don't work. The hazards work fine. I haven't gotten the car running yet so I can't check if the actual speedo works or any of the idiot lights but the clock does NOT work and the knob to adjust it broke off.

When the key is clicked on, the radio works but only the driver's side speaker, and the check engine and brake light come on. Which is probably the only correctly working thing in the car right now :rolleyes: I would check fuses but I have no idea which ones to check and there doesn't seem to be any diagrams labelling exactly what fuses to check..

·
Registered
24 Posts
do you think your cluster is that bad? I can get you pictures of the Tach setup and the 4 light wiring harness tomorrow if I remember after I wake up. Tach connection comes off the distributor brown wire thru the firewall if my memory is right.
Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Okay update for anyone looking at this in the future. I took apart the cluster, took the PCB off, replaced every single bulb and cleaned the board, put everything back on and I now have the back lights. Currently, I still don't have my oil, volt, or temp lights when you click the key on. But it's progress. Basically clean everything and it may start working again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cleaning sounds good pictures attached of TAC connection. I do not have a clock cluster to check it against. Wire shown on the right that connects to the distributor and to pin 17 (white wire)on the PCB connector. On the PCB it goes to the nut below the blue attachment above the TAC I have no Idea if all the PCB's are the same.
Picture of the front headlight assy wires attached for a 4 headlamp header if you need them.
OIL TEMP FUEL lamps?? just lamps not the gauges? If just the back lighting maybe a broken PCB line.
Joe

Attachments

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,603 Posts
Okay update for anyone looking at this in the future. I took apart the cluster, took the PCB off, replaced every single bulb and cleaned the board, put everything back on and I now have the back lights. Currently, I still don't have my oil, volt, or temp lights when you click the key on. But it's progress. Basically clean everything and it may start working again.
yep, cleaning, redoing, going thru part by part seems to be getting you there.
when you say oil/temp/volt lights, which ones are you talking about? the dash lights or the vertical panel to the right of the gauges?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive design Odometer

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,608 Posts
Good luck with getting your gremlins banished. My gremlin is that my fuel gauge is not accurate. When the tank is full, the gauge shows 3/4. That is something can live with, (If it indicated that I have more than I actually do would get it fixed).

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK I found what I think is a Monty Carlo dash in my pile without any dash clock or Tach. The part number on the PCB is the same (25016702) as Camino but behind the console the nuts are missing that hold the tach in place. He mylar is the same. My question is do you have a white wire in pin 17 of the connector if so then you may be pre wired for a Tach. That would make things simple for you having a rev gauge.
As far as the back lit lights 10 connections to the PCB board as seen from the PCB side.
Joe

Attachments

41 - 49 of 49 Posts