El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’m a 34 year old guy living in Zephyrhills, FL, a small town about 30 minutes northeast of Tampa.

I have been thinking about a car project for a while and a few days ago became aware of an 80 or 81 El Camino being sold by a friend’s son. My wife has always wanted an Elky and the deal was right so I bought it. It’s running, but not roadworthy, so am having it towed home this weekend. I’ll get the title then and know the year for sure, the seller couldn’t remember for sure.

it has a 305, transmission and rear end out of a mid 80’s Camaro that was put in by the previous, previous owner about 3 years ago. He also said he put in an aftermarket camshaft. it has an Edelbrock carb and intake manifold.

The guy I bought it from has had it about a year, drove it around town a few times before moving out of state and leaving it on his dads property untouched for the last 8 months. It started right up with a jump start and sounds pretty decent.

it has basically no brakes, bad tires, very few lights, gauges or electrical things work. Body has some rust but not too bad. Floor panels will need some attention. Paint is very faded so will need a paint job. Interior is wet from a leak in the windshield seal and will need a complete redo.

With what seems like a solid drive train and frame, I think this will be a good platform for my first project. I’ve always done my own maintenance but never a restoration so I’m learning as I go. I plan to take it slow as time and money permit and hopefully have it on the road in a year or so. This will be a weekend around town cruiser so I’m more concerned with reliability, looks and a good time than power. Looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Hi Woodsy, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Have fun with it and the community.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
:geek: Welcome, Glad you found us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. Good
luck with you rebuild. Safety first.
Frame and suspension breaks and
plumbing.
from Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio..:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Here’s some pics of the new project. I have my work cut out for me and learning as I go. At least the motor runs. For now, I think that’s the only thing that works! Lol.

oh and by the way, I got the title from the seller yesterday and it is an 80. Trailer him to his new home. My wife has named him “Rodrigo”. It will be her car, but my project!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
Also buzz me if looking for parts
I'm in Gainesville & have parts & a few guys around here with parts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also buzz me if looking for parts
I'm in Gainesville & have parts & a few guys around here with parts
Thanks! Will do. I’m just getting into this project and am working on a few major systems- oil, fuel, cooling, brakes- before I get into any type of exterior or interior work.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be replacing the bottom of the car. Lots of rust on the entire bottom, all the floor boards I think will need to be replaced. Frame is good I think, just surface rust from what I’ve found so far. This will be a challenge for me because 1, I don’t have a lift to put it on and 2, I’ve never done any type of welding. May have to outsource the bottom repairs, but that alone will probably kill most of my budget for the car.

I really can’t complain too much though, I paid $500 for an ‘80 el Camino that runs and drives and has a pretty decent body with just a little rust.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome from Nevada. Good luck with the project. (y)

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,582 Posts
Thanks! Will do. I’m just getting into this project and am working on a few major systems- oil, fuel, cooling, brakes- before I get into any type of exterior or interior work.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be replacing the bottom of the car. Lots of rust on the entire bottom, all the floor boards I think will need to be replaced. Frame is good I think, just surface rust from what I’ve found so far. This will be a challenge for me because 1, I don’t have a lift to put it on and 2, I’ve never done any type of welding. May have to outsource the bottom repairs, but that alone will probably kill most of my budget for the car.

I really can’t complain too much though, I paid $500 for an ‘80 el Camino that runs and drives and has a pretty decent body with just a little rust.
Woodsy , Welcome from the Florida Keys . Glad you found us and we have a several members in the Zephyrhills , Orlando , Tampa area . Sorry it took a few weeks for me to notice your post . Just got back online after a lightning strike hit outside my house and toasted my computer . Check us out in the Region 6 , Florida Forums . Please consider joining some of us in November for C.J.`s Marine Detachment Car Show in the Clearwater area with or without a running Camino . Feel free to post a forum or ask for info in the appropriate forum section . There are tons of info also available in the " Search Feature " , here at ECC . Looks like you did well on the purchase of Rodrigo . Curious to know why your wife came up with that name but it sounds :cool: .Stop back in and let us know how you are progressing .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woodsy , Welcome from the Florida Keys . Glad you found us and we have a several members in the Zephyrhills , Orlando , Tampa area . Sorry it took a few weeks for me to notice your post . Just got back online after a lightning strike hit outside my house and toasted my computer . Check us out in the Region 6 , Florida Forums . Please consider joining some of us in November for C.J.`s Marine Detachment Car Show in the Clearwater area with or without a running Camino . Feel free to post a forum or ask for info in the appropriate forum section . There are tons of info also available in the " Search Feature " , here at ECC . Looks like you did well on the purchase of Rodrigo . Curious to know why your wife came up with that name but it sounds :cool: .Stop back in and let us know how you are progressing .
Thanks. There’s no telling how she came up with that name 😂😂. I’m smart enough to not ask questions.

I’ve made a little progress. Motor is running well and waiting on parts to replace the floor to arrive later this month. Most of the work tobe done is cosmetic, body and standard maintenance items. There’s definitely potential!
I may come down to the show in November. Definitely won’t have the Camino on the road by then but would be cool to see some others and meet some folks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts