El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I swore in today and am officially a member of the inactive Marine Corps..I am currently a poolee and my ship date is May 28th, 2013 or 20130528 for those of you on military dates. Its that far away only because..1) i still have 20lbs to lose (no biggie) and 2) i am about 5 college credits short of enlisting as an E2 (instead of E1). Sooooo, come January, i will enroll into school and grab my last couple of credits. MEPS was a task with the physical and paperwork and all. I'm sure many of you can remember. The ASVAB was a piece of cake, mostly anyway lol having to remember those formulas for the math problems was no easy task. Well, i just wanted to share with you guys cause you all are awesome and I know you guys appreciate the US Armed Forces...SEMPER FI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Congrats! This is a big day for you! I'll never forget the day I got to see my daughter get sworn in to the US ARMY! That's one proud day for us parents of military "kids". Thank you and good luck!! :You_Rock:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. Appreciation. It was a day indeed and i won't forget it. I didn't have the opportunity to have my parents there but nevertheless, it was a day for me. my dad is happy im giving myself a better opportunity and my mom, well, is being a mom. she supports me but doesn't want to lose her "baby". she wants me to have a desk job or something "safe" but i want to be in the fight. I'm sure its every parents worry when it comes to their kids and the military lol

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Congrats! You will never regret becoming a Marine. I joined up in 1960 @ 17. Best decision I ever made. Best of luck.
Semper Fi!

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Congratulations young man.
I joined in 1975 at 18.
Went on to become a Helicopter Crew Chief and attain the rank of Sgt. in 4yrs.
Today was a great day to be sure BUT the day you graduate from MCRD will be even better.:twisted:
:patriot:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Congrats future Devil Dog!!!

·
813 Posts
Oorah

Parris Island I take it ?

My son is shooting for next year after graduation

Saw my Nephew Graduate there in 1997, one of the proudest moments in my life.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
X 10 on the day you grad from MCRD! One of our DIs went over to the airport with us and had a beer with us. a great time!

of course it'll be a lot easier for you in the "new corps"! In the old corps, when I went thru, we lived in quonset huts and carried M-14s (an M-14 weighs 8.79 lbs, after you hold it over your head for 1/2 hr, the decimal point falls out). We were the last series in SD to do either of those.

I did learn one thing quickly there. Our end hut was 50 feet from the fence, on the other side of which was the runways at SD airport. From behind you, the DIs could hear your eyeballs creak as they turned to look at the planes taking off. Followed immediately by learning what a punch in the back of the head felt like. I didn't have any idea before that that eyeballs could be so noisy!!

btw, we weren't exposed to any music at all, except what the bugler played (summer of '71). We DID get to see one movie for doing well on the rifle range. We saw Patton, which had just come out. Before it started, out head DI got up on the stage and told us to remember, that as great as Patton was, he was only in the army. I've never forgotten that!

:texas:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you for having the courage to do what few have.

My son is an active Marine deployed somewhere in the Indian Ocean and we could not be more proud of him!

:You_Rock:

·
Registered
136 Posts
OOOOOOOOORAHHHHHH! I am a Marine as well sepped out in 99. Wish I had of changed my mos and stayed. It was strict buch much simpler in there. Once you get on the rifle range they start treating you as a devil pup stick with it you will go far. Man brings back memories. Oh and the rucruiters are a bunch of liers make sure you get that promotional upgrade in wrighting seriously.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
X 3 on the recruiters. Originally, I had an electronics guarantee. They said I was going to radio school, and I said, "But I have an electronics guarantee!" their response was, "Don't worry, you'll get to carry the batteries too!"

ended up I didn't even get that. "we got you and we're putting you here"

:dontknow: :texas:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! i got pretty high ASVAB and EST scores. They gave me a list of jobs that i could choose from but act like they couldn't freakin tell me about them. I even verbally aske them to "please explain what this job is". I didn't quite feel like they were exactly doing their best to make sure I got a good job. So i picked jobs that had mechanic beside it like "aviation mechanic". I haven't signed any paperwork since MEPS so nothing should be in stone yet. I had scores a bit higher than a another recruit and they suggested electrical jobs to him. i was a little upset. Come monday, I will have a few questions for my recruiter. This is my future and I want the best I can get out of it. I don't know if they had "poolee functions" when you guys enlisted but we do and they SUCK!!! they drill you physically, and i mean DRILL!!! they said its to give us more than whats at boot camp so we can fly through boot camp. i did a great job in the combat section (which i threw up after, lol i was pushing hard) of the 3hr @$$ride but my running needs major work. did the 800m in like 3:49. i know it brings back BIG memories for you guys huh

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
800m in 3:49????? were you carrying a sbc??

"now this here is no shi........"

when I was 18-19 (long long time ago) I ran 3 miles in 13:42 (every 6 mos for 3 yrs)carrying 50lbs of rocks in a pack, and full gear. Took me 2:48:32 to swin the 5 miles same way. Of course, they took us offshore and said "meet you on the beach, or not" to help motivate us, then threw us out of the boat.

once ran a LOT farther than that, but you're not old enough to hear about that.

:poke:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here's the deal, if you pick anything in the 300 range you will be a grunt. If you want to be a mechanic pick motor T and work your way into it, that way you will atleast stay with automotive, but pick motor t mechanical if you wanna mechanic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
800m in 3:49????? were you carrying a sbc??

"now this here is no shi........"

when I was 18-19 (long long time ago) I ran 3 miles in 13:42 (every 6 mos for 3 yrs)carrying 50lbs of rocks in a pack, and full gear. Took me 2:48:32 to swin the 5 miles same way. Of course, they took us offshore and said "meet you on the beach, or not" to help motivate us, then threw us out of the boat.

once ran a LOT farther than that, but you're not old enough to hear about that.

:poke:
LMAOOO only the sbc over my mid section. i was pooped as it was plus i still have 25lbs to loose and i honestly do not pace myself very well. thats no excuse though. ive never been a good runner, even when i was "skinny" lol right now im 73" at 225lbs.

and i pretty much picked whatever job had the word "mechanic" next to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts