El Camino Central Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
all in all you only need them if you get pulled over .Our regular plates used to be $25 till they started the clean air service, now they are $125 .And they have the audacity to say that they dont charge for the service . Illinoize has,,Antique plates and are $25 and good for 3 years , lets say summer months only driven .Almost Antique plates are $75 and annual renewal, spring to fall driven.
Hows this idea ? We have monthly stickers issued now . So if I want to drive the car this month I can buy the sticker for that month .Instead of paying full price like for a boat trailer or RV in winter sitting in storage .
Now the latest Ratner scam is not to send the renewal notice and collect on ''late fees'' to the tune of $34 million so far.
Where does that cash go ? Given new meaning to ''not for profit ''just charge more or connive new ways to generate revenue .:dontknow:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Our state, Minnesota tried the emission and safety check for about 4-5 years. The bean counters got in the act and found that it was costing the state millions to manage the system and there were few " fines" of any value. They somehow figured that raising the rates wasn't going to get any more positive bank numbers so they ended the mess. No more inspections or emission checks. I think they just added a few bucks to the license scheme , got rid of the fancy die stamping of plates, made them out of thinner steel then aluminum, you don't get new plates unless you pay for them or they are damaged or stolen, you just get new cheap stickers for $100+ every year. Mine are fifteen stickers deep on my truck and ten deep on my Willys. It took less than three minutes to get my truck and trailer tabs this year. $120 in three minutes = ?? Per hour? I gotta give the stat credit for that one. Too bad it gets stollen for something besides road work.

The only inspections for Streetrods are on new builds. These can be a real mess if you don't document the build. They automatically have you post a three year bond, the value determined by the DMV. if you talk nice, dress nice, don't smoke, are on time, and all the pieces stay attached during the inspection, and you you don't shoot or beat the inspectors up....even though they antagonize you, you may get away with paying a bit less than a grand for the bond. In 6 months or so you will get that coveted green title.

In my case it took 8 months and about 1800 bucks. It probably didn't help that I wrote stingily pointed grievance letter to the head of the licencing division outlining the mistreatment, cursing, swearing , and needless delaying that I was subjected to. I also confronted him at their booth at the big car show here. I did get a clear title. The system is better now but it is something I'll not forget soon. Others say it pretty friendly and simplified for Streetrods now.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I don't understand how people view California as having restrictive laws regarding operating and owning motor vehicles. Yes we have strict smog laws but if you lived in the LA basin during the 60s,70s and 80s you'd understand why. While smog hasn't disappeared, its much better than before.

We don't have an inspection program like most states. Registration fees are based on vehicle value and while not the cheapest, are still reasonable. I pay $50 every two years to have my daily drivers smog checked. New cars get a pass for the first 5 years and If you live in the mountain or desert areas they're not required.

Life here in San Diego ain't bad. It was 79* today. No tornados, hurricanes, sink holes, or sub freezing weather. We did have a storm pass through a few weeks ago that left a foot of snow in our local mountains. Not to many places where you can go snow boarding in the morning, drive 40 miles and go surfing in the afternoon in 70* temperatures. Earthquakes you say? Thats in Oklahoma. :eek3:

Best of all, I can drive my Elco year round!

:cali:

·
Registered
921 Posts
hey ,a positive outlook on Callifornia . I can agree it is a nice state .Its the "A" lister attitude in some that bugs us outatowners .My money is just as green , just not as much . Get in line .
It still aint right this spot check BS . They did that in Germany as well .
I read that 1000 people a year move to Florida .

·
Registered
921 Posts
oh yeah I forgot ,, did you know that there is an El Camino College in California . How cool is that .
go Warriors :laugh:

·
Supporting Member
4,405 Posts
When my 80' is ready for the road I had planned on tagging it historic. Would still be exempt from emissions. I see MD also has Street Rod designation. Anyone know the better of the two for my purposes? Won't be a daily driver or used for work or anything like that. Mainly cruising and such.
May be similar to what we have in NV. Classic car plates are for vehicles that are essentially stock vehicles, restored or "survivor". Classic Rod plates allow changes to the vehicle from stock. When I went for my "rod" plates, I had to educate the DMV clerk on the difference- they had no clue.

From the DMV application:
Please Note: A Classic Vehicle must contain only the original parts that were used to manufacture the vehicle or
replacement parts that duplicate those original parts.

There is no note on the Classic Rod application.

·
Director Region 22
1,207 Posts
plate fees

up here in Quebec the yearly plate fees are $320. just because its a v8. 4 cylinders are $290. a year.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
At least we don't need total vehicle inspection every year like our neighbors up north. :wink:
Nope. And, that's good. But, while I personally dislike Vehicle Inspections, I believe they are important. It's the Emissions Test I would get rid of. I don't think it is needed anymore.

BTW, both of my antiques are Exempt from inspections.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In Texas, if you're car is 1984 or newer, you must pass emissions. Luckily mine's an 82. Unfortunately, I have a 90's Mustang that is a pain to modify because I can't throw the computer/ECM or I won't pass. . . . I don't mind the challenge though. What's better than a cool AND clean hot rod? That way when a tree-hugger complains about my car, I can point out that my high-flo catalytic converters, EGR management, and ported/polished intakes are more efficient and better for the environment than whatever it is they're driving.

In Australia, the public wanted to outlaw any car more than 25 years old because they were "such a danger to the public" and hot rodders introduced inspections just to keep there cars on the road.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Registration fees are based on vehicle value and while not the cheapest, are still reasonable. I pay $50 every two years to have my daily drivers smog checked. New cars get a pass for the first 5 years and If you live in the mountain or desert areas they're not required.
I wish Texas was that reasonable. I pay $75 every year for a small car, new cars only get a pass for 2 years, emission tests are typically in larger cities and surrounding counties, vehicle has to be older than 25 yrs to avoid emissions testing. State law says equipment must be there even if non-functional and not-tested.

crazily enough, I can have a busted up windshield and pass safety inspection

but I can have a failing wiper blade where it's starting to barely tear and fail safety inspection!

In Texas, if you're car is 1984 or newer, you must pass emissions. Luckily mine's an 82.
car is 25 yrs or older, not 1984 or newer. 1992--> 2017
depending on your year Mustang you may be ok or have to wait a couple more years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just heard today that one of the laws proposed for the Oregon House is a new tax on vehicles older than 20 years. My representative friend Bill Post tells me this:
:banghead:The Old Car Tax
Yup, you read that right – HB 2877 Requires registered owners of vehicles 20 years old or older to pay $1,000 every five years. This will require a 3/5ths majority vote to pass, which means only 1 Republican in the House and 1 in the Senate need to vote for this to make it pass. Contact the Revenue Committee chair [email protected] to request that it die in committee.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I just heard today that one of the laws proposed for the Oregon House is a new tax on vehicles older than 20 years. My representative friend Bill Post tells me this:
:banghead:The Old Car Tax
Yup, you read that right – HB 2877 Requires registered owners of vehicles 20 years old or older to pay $1,000 every five years. This will require a 3/5ths majority vote to pass, which means only 1 Republican in the House and 1 in the Senate need to vote for this to make it pass. Contact the Revenue Committee chair [email protected] to request that it die in committee.

lovely, and I was thinking of retiring there in about 10 years

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Received eMail needs Research...

The passing on of eMail information without some basic research can create unnecessary concern among the public, or in this case, our membership. A simple check would have found these headlines:
"Buying coffee is a choice, but a lot of us don't have a choice in how we manage our money and transportation options," Crosby explains.
But just like Thursday's proposed coffee tax, the old-car tax is already dead. The bill has not been set for a hearing, and Representative Phil Barnhart (D-Central Lane and Linn Counties), chair of the House Revenue Committee, does not currently intend to hold one.

For those who pass on information received from others, please conduct a basic check for accuracy before posting it in this Forum.................Ken

·
Registered
921 Posts
Good advice from the administration .
we can use the disclaimer,
"information deemed reliable but not necessarily accurate".
Like my history teacher used in class when describing the Civil War.
none the less this is a good "thread" . stirred alot of us up and reminded many of us to keep our politicians in check .:snipersmilie:
Rules are made to be broken, Locks are made to keep out Honest people, and Laws are changed to the whim of the times and to keep the Police honest.
.IMO.
I like the air we breathe , Lake Erie was a dead lake ,the EPA ran out of the country the dilapidated steel mills ,but the "air checks" are still a haven for political cronies . IMO
How about we have a discussion on "red light cameras"?:roll: How about we NOT? There's no need to invite controversial discussions that "....stir a lot of us up..." This Forum is for discussions about El Caminos - NOT for political rants or how someone has been offended by an enforcement action. And just as a note - the posting rules of this Forum are not "...made to be broken..." Everyone please keep that in mind in future posts. This is not censorship - any member who may be offended by my action here is free to go to other Forums that allow political discussions!..............Ken Rogers, Forum Administrator

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.