El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last friday night I picked up a '76 GMC Sprint SP. It's got a Buick 455 from a '70 GS, TH-400. A friend of mine had it before I got it from a used car lot. He was a member of this club and he posted pictures of it here: http://elcaminocentral.com/postlite575-.html
It still looks the same as when he had it. After all financing is done I will have spent $1,820.63. I'm used to having my GM H-bodies (Chevy Vega, Monza etc.) I guess there really isn't much to say that hasn't already been said about this GMC. I will be asking lots of questions about these unique vehicles. Just thought I'd let everybody know what I picked up and what not.

Charles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Charles!

I remember the Elky because of the engine transplant, but why did the previous owner sell it? If memory serves, he did have it all that long.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had sold it because he was using it as a daily driver, and didn't like the gas mileage it got, and the other day he told me it was too loud. :lol: It does need exhaust work, as of now the exhaust comes off the manifolds with about 30 inches of pipe, then into the mufflers and that's all there is for exhaust. It resonates terribly inside, so bad that it's hard to even hear yourself think. I've got plans of dual 3inch exhaust with flowmaster 40series mufflers.

Charles

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hope he got the rear-end problems fixed for you.

If I remember correctly, he blew the rear end out doing burnouts...

Anyway, congrats on the purchase- Should be fun!
:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly, he blew the rear end out doing burnouts...

Yes, he did blow it doing burnouts. What he told me was he did a burnout through first gear, into second, and then into drive while holding the brake. And when he let off the brake (still hard on the throttle) the tires grabbed traction real hard, and the rearend basically said "I give up". The rear end has been replaced with one from a '76 el camino. I just found out today that the rearend desperatly needs brakes, as it is metal on metal right now.

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts