El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for having me. I am eager to start learning more info of my '81!

Just picked it up on Tuesday. The car is in great condition and this past owner had it for a couple yrs changing tyrod ends, power steering box, front shocks, and I think carburetor. He also has for sale a 350 eng with aluminum heads, it has low kms (yep I am Canadian ;)). I havent bought that engine yet, as I havent heard it run and need to learn more about the cars first.

I am starting to look at replacing all the weather seals around the doors, as the are starting to crack from age. I am a woman and love my music, so a stereo upgrade is in the very near future.

That's all I can think of right now... I am going to write to GM to find out if it is truly a Knight model, as I cant tell 100% if it is. Has decal on good and Super Sport on bottom left of pass dash, but there are some signs that it may not, as grill is different than the ones I have seen on knight pics.

I have a ton of questions, but hoping I can see others posts first before I start asking the same ones.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Welcome aboard! What year is it? The trim tag on the cowl will likely have Z15 or Z16 on it for the SS/Knight trim. (I think Knights are Z15 SS models first with the Z16 Knight option layered on top, thus the dash badge you have). The grill being different is likely either owner preference or accident repair so don’t fret that too much. If you find your build sheet (often above the headliner) it’ll tell you everything. I know that, at least in the ‘70s, GM Canada kept records of everything (required by the government maybe?). Good luck!
Patrick

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome! If you're hoping to learn all that is El Camino then you've come to the right place. Post up some pics of it when you can.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Hi Purpl, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Steele Rubber products is a great place to get the window seals you need. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 81. Enjoy and have fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Purpl, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Steele Rubber products is a great place to get the window seals you need. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 81. Enjoy and have fun.
Posted a pic below..hope it turned out

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts