El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have what we think is a 350 in a 1984 el camino. But the electric choke on it won't kick down very well. When I start it it will idle at 2000 and won't really kick down we have tried to do adjustments on the carb but it will work for a little bit but then will go back to the 2000rpm idle again. I was just wondering what this meant?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey 84 , look at your chock setting and make sure that none of the linkage is in a bind ... loosen up the three set screws and move the black adjustment plastic to the middle notches and try that .... when it idles high for a minute , stomp on the gas pedal and the motor should idle down ... if not keep adjusting the round black plastic down a couple notches at a time ... Thanks the Geezer

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Another possible problem could be the choke pulloff vacuum pot,if you have a Quadrajet it's usually on the passenger backside of the carb.

·
Supporting Member
4,547 Posts
Fast Idle set screw is behind and below the choke housing. Sounds like it is not kicking off as it should. It's possible that the spring in the choke is broken, but I would spray it with carb cleaner first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts