El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help guys. My 66 Elcamino will crank for a while and never hit a lick hook a jump box to it and it fires right up. I have checked the battery and tried a different battery no change. Volt gauge reads between 12-14 when running. I’m stuck please help

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Possible ground issue, do you still have the points distributor or a electronic ignition now?.
How many ground wires do you have? Is the battery ground go to the engine block?.
When you hook up the jump box you have more current,
12.6 is a full charge on a battery, your charging system should be at least 13.0 to 13.5 or higher when running.
I run the battery ground to the engine block on mine, then another ground wire from the block to the frame. Good luck with your ride!!.
Matty man

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible ground issue, do you still have the points distributor or a electronic ignition now?.
How many ground wires do you have? Is the battery ground go to the engine block?.
When you hook up the jump box you have more current,
12.6 is a full charge on a battery, your charging system should be at least 13.0 to 13.5 or higher when running.
I run the battery ground to the engine block on mine, then another ground wire from the block to the frame. Good luck with your ride!!.
Matty man
I have changed it over to electronic ignition I also have my ground ran to the block smaller wire to the body

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just had a problem with my whole house generator. Had 12.6+ but cranking I lost 3-4 volts. The 12 volt fuel solenoid would not open every time. I installed a new battery (old one was 5 years old but cranked it fine) and starts faster and every time now. Check for clean and tight connections also. Check voltage at the starter while cranking.
Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 12 volt fuel solenoid would not open every time.
Agree- Solenoids can fail to operate when the voltage drops during cranking, and many ignition modules are voltage sensitive as well. Since it works on a jump box, I'd say voltage drop is the culprit.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
What is your voltage to your coil? Mine had a soldered splice in the supply voltage and was sending 8.6 volts to coil. Wiring harness was a hacked up mess
Like Dslpwt stated make sure you have the full 12 volts to the distributor/coil, if you still have the resistor and wired the distributor using the resistor, youre voltage is to low causing the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions I have a mechanical fuel pump but I did not check the voltage at coil when cranking over I will check that this evening when I get off work thanks again everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts