El Camino Central Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Very nice. I’m just getting started. Where did you get the airdam?
Eckler's for this air dam, it is available other places as well. Good luck with your build.

Reactions: Hat Trick

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Good job! (y) (y) Great build! 😍
Thanks Goat, I cannot wait to get it out of the shop and put some miles on it while my dad and I finish the interior.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
FINALLY got to drive the Hell Camino, I mean REALLY drive the Camino after 4 years getting work done. It was exhilarating to say the least and it RIPS!

I "jumped in and FIRED THAT MOTHER UP" (to steal a line form Charlie Daniels) and took it for about an hour long shake down run and then stopped at the gas station and found the first gremlin. I parked the car at the 110 pump went in and paid for $30 doll hairs worth and came out to see that my car had rolled about 20 feet! There were 4 good Samaritans holding the Camino from hitting a curb and running into a drainage ditch.......needless to say I was thrilled with them and less thrilled with my builder. The mechanic had "forgotten" to adjust the e-brake after installation of the new Currie 9" crate rear end. After thanking all of the strangers multiple times for the help that they didn't have to give, I got no less than 1/2 dozen "beautiful cars" thrown my way, along with one wink. LOL

Anyway, I found that the tach gets a bit jumpy at around 5k, and the emergency brake doesn't work, the air cleaner still isn't mated to the bottom of the hood yet and there's a piece of trim that keeps popping off, the upper quarter window trim needs installed and the door locks need connected. So it will be in the shop a bit longer before I get to take her home and start the stereo and interior work.

All in all, I have to say it was a good day.
20200904_122838.jpg
20200904_122912.jpg
20200904_122852.jpg
20200904_122905.jpg
20200904_123108.jpg

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
FINALLY got to drive the Hell Camino, I mean REALLY drive the Camino after 4 years getting work done. It was exhilarating to say the least and it RIPS!

I "jumped in and FIRED THAT MOTHER UP" (to steal a line form Charlie Daniels) and took it for about an hour long shake down run and then stopped at the gas station and found the first gremlin. I parked the car at the 110 pump went in and paid for $30 doll hairs worth and came out to see that my car had rolled about 20 feet! There were 4 good Samaritans holding the Camino from hitting a curb and running into a drainage ditch.......needless to say I was thrilled with them and less thrilled with my builder. The mechanic had "forgotten" to adjust the e-brake after installation of the new Currie 9" crate rear end. After thanking all of the strangers multiple times for the help that they didn't have to give, I got no less than 1/2 dozen "beautiful cars" thrown my way, along with one wink. LOL

Anyway, I found that the tach gets a bit jumpy at around 5k, and the emergency brake doesn't work, the air cleaner still isn't mated to the bottom of the hood yet and there's a piece of trim that keeps popping off, the upper quarter window trim needs installed and the door locks need connected. So it will be in the shop a bit longer before I get to take her home and start the stereo and interior work.

All in all, I have to say it was a good day.
View attachment 132568 View attachment 132569 View attachment 132570 View attachment 132571 View attachment 132572
Kinda like finding some Skittles in your mouth! Gonna be a good day Tater! I just love it sitting at a stop light, and almost always someone hollers about liking my car! I KNOW you know what I'm talking about!

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Yes, yours is a good story with a good ending. I think you will be finding gremlins for a while but the big ones like this will reveal themselves pretty quickly.

Nice EC!!

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Thanks Rick and Joe

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Moving to the interior of the car now and I'm pretty well set on a black / tan theme. Debating on a black trimmed seat with a tan plaid insert and door inserts. I don't see it much in American Muscle but I like it when I see it in Porsche and so forth. It would replace the houndstooth in the pictured seat (not my seat but the same brand / model) whatcha think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
A friend has a few of these old mid 50's German cars with the funny doors. They seemed to use a larger check pattern.
Just an alternate thought, saddle interior with more of the flame color spectrum in the houndstoothe.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
They seemed to use a larger check pattern.
Just an alternate thought, saddle interior with more of the flame color spectrum in the houndstoothe.
I didn't think about a saddle interior, not a bad idea actually, it's definitely a consideration.

The reason I chose a smaller pattern though was the size of the insert compared to having the whole seat done. I'll admit though that the pattern could be considered a bit "busy" even though it fits the colors of the exterior pretty well. I've noticed that Porsche seats use a smaller pattern on their inserts.

TY sir for the input.

·
Registered
606 Posts
BEAUTIFUL '87!!! I had noticed this build a while back but didn't get into reading the details until recently. That episode about strangers saving your baby from damage was a total blessing! It would have been a damn shame...you definitely dodged a bullet!

As an 87 owner living in Hawaii, we--classic car enthusiasts--don't have access to builders/restorers that you on the "mainland" have. If we seek quality and skilled work like yours, the main recourse is to send our cars away, I appreciate your sharing so much about your build.

Happy Crusin'!!!!

181 - 194 of 194 Posts