El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Years ago I put a bolt on fiberglass cowl induction hood on my '78. I outfitted the front with hood pins and I kept the stock hinges at the back of the hood without the springs because they seemed too stiff for the fiberglass hood to handle opening and closing frequently without damaging the hood. So for years I've just propped the hood up when working under it. Not only is this not the safest thing to do, but its not the best look for when I start showing the engine bay off.

Whats my solution? Low tension springs to replace the stock springs, or gas struts??

Appreciate hearing from any of you with 'glass hoods!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
8) You can order the low tension spring from Summit. I have them on mine. Or I should say I have one on mine! My hinges are pretty worn and the spring on the passenger side was making the hood raise on that rear corner when the hood was closed, making it impossible to lingn the hood up. :( They do work well! :cool:
I have seen guys use factory hood props to hold their glass hoods up. The man said he just raised the hood to where it normally would be at full open and measured. Then he went to the local bone yard and found a prop that was closest in length. He also said to make sure you get the nylon bushing that it goes through and the clip that secures it when you put it down! Then you drill a hole in the under structure for the prop end to go into on the hood!
Also seen a car that had two props on it. The guy said his hood was so flimsy it was twisting with one so he added a second on the other side!
You can learn a lot if you take time to talk to the entants at car shows! That besides this and on other forum are my best sources for information and new ideas! :cool:

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Nah, forget all that... here's what you want, a 3 position adjustable locking hood prop from Lokar. I bought one last year and it's great! it's held the hood up under some pretty windy conditions and it has never failed me. Took all of five minutes to install, mounted to a flat spot on the wheel well and to an existing mount on the hood bracket. One suggestion, once installed and you're happy with the adjustments use a little Locktite on all the bolts, they may vibrate loose after a while.

http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/hood-prop.htm

This picture shows it installed on the driver's side of the hood, you may have to click on it to enlarge it:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. They are all pretty good.

LeoC2, I really like the suggestion of the 3 position locking hood prop. I checked out the site and saw I could get one in blue to match my ride. Pretty cool, I must say. I plan to call them to see what one cost/order one, but until then, do you mind telling what you paid??

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you've already got hood pins, just use one of the pins in the hole on your hinge. put one pin in there when the hood is open and it'll hold it. or check out harwood fiberglass. my harwood hood came with the prop rod...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got tired of using wire ties on my 64 glass hood so I cobbled this together. Used the stock inner fender bolt hole to mount the lower strut ball connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts