El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok yall i need a hand , my key just turns . no start, no nothing.. it turns very free, so i drop the collom and you grab the rod with a pair of plierds you feel ignition switch ect ...it will start with the rod but not the key...
so what is broke inside me collom,, ill go get the lock lpate removal tool todat so somebody plz steer me in the right direction,
also i have access to a early style columm78.79.80??
will it work in my 83 wagon or can i rob the guts out of it and fix mine ,, thanks for your time,,,, yes i tried search too not much help,,,,,,,:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Woody there is a gear rack that the key mechanism turns like a a rack and pinion. sounds like one of them is finished. Not sure about the parts swap.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Is yours a tilt?
If your donors are tilts, the parts will interchange.
The little rack gear is plastic, and probably broke. You will see it when you get the turn sw. pulled up a little.
:texas:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The parts to fix this should only be about $20 and I have seen them at AutoZombies I think
Any GM dealer will have the parts as well
Same parts from the 70s into the 90s

Not all that hard to change the rack and rod assy in a tilt.
The rack frequently breaks and then ya gotta fix it.

I've done the one in my old pickup about 3 times.

In the meantime----loer the column and remove the switch so that it just hangs below the dash.
A small screw dirver can then be used to start the car (done this more than once), easier than looking for that silly rod.

It's bee awhile but I think the operation goes like this:
Remove steering wheel
remove lock plate
remove the screws holding the tun switch and pull back enough to let hang (remove hazard knob and turn lever first)
Remove ignition lock cylinder
loosen the upper bowl and pull back for access to the rack and rod.

HMMMM

Better get a book on this----been a LOOOOONG time since I have had to do it, and I have slept since then.

I have also had to replace my tilt pins a couple of times----ugly job.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HELP GOT THE CILLON APART CANT GET RACK ROD OUT HELP EMERGENCY

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well folks Minorider came thru again.... he let me rob the lil gear part that was broke on mine.... what a heck of a job....
Thanks for the link
It really helped...you guys n gals are the best...
Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts