El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Sure If This Fits This Category But When I Go To Crank My Car The Key Is Staying In The Start Position Causing The Starter To Stay Engage While The Motor Is Running. I Guess It’s Not Clicking Back How It’s Supposed To.. How Do I Fix This Issue?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My best guess would be to install a new ignition switch. In the meantime, just remain aware of it and return it to the run position manually as soon as it starts.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
After having a few old ignition switches fail on, I usually just mount a push button under the dash..
The switch in my 69 seems to be okay but it won't stay in accessary.. I might just run a switch and a push button..

·
Registered
349 Posts
"The Key Is Staying In The Start Position Causing The Starter To Stay Engage While The Motor Is Running."

I had that problem with my '68 when it was my daily driver. I replaced the ignition switch but still had the problem. It turned out to be a starter problem, it wouldn't release when the engine started.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Sometimes just putting "band-aid"fixes in just cause more problems. If its worth doing ,its worth doing right.A trip to your local "ole-timer" that worked on these great cars might yield a wealth of simple repair advice. Also a trip to You-Tube may give you some good advice.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Amen Wayne Parish!! If nothing else, get the correct manuals for your ride and read carefully. And, even better, an older and experienced guy. That is an easy fix if you do it right. And not electrical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts