El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start the build, doing last minute tech outline. I wanted to know if anyone has put in a keyless start and remote system like in the modern day cars.

This is the system I have researched, and seems to be a good middle ground. It has an addition of automatic windows that can be added.

Any thoughts, ideas or I shouldn't because of...
61N+2fS+QbL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
61y7yCQ6mdL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I ride the fence on these kinds of things. The convenience is cool, being able to start a car remotely and have the A/C chilling before getting in is nice, but I always want things simple. To me the more I add just increases problems down the road. Electronics are getting better by the day and with that comes complexity, so I prefer to go with tried and true systems that are proven before I accept it. 40 years ago you couldn't give me a car with a computer in it, but today I'm willing to run an LS motor with a factory computer since I see them on a regular basis with over 300k miles! Aftermarket stuff makes me even more paranoid. So, I guess where I stand on this one is, let us know how it works out and let me know how well it's working a couple years from now.

One other thing, we had a customer car about 15 years ago with a standard trans and remote start. The clutch safety was by-passed to make the remote start work. We didn't know this. I'm not sure and will never know how the remote was activated (not by me but another tech) and the car started and crushed a trash can against a wall narrowly missing another tech on the way, good thing it was in for a front end wreck huh?

Not a big deal if you have an automatic! Good luck and have fun! My 2 cents worth.

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
I am trying to find out how to deactivate these systems from my newer primary car.

On the new car, it uses too much battery resources to keep these systems awake.
In the first 1,000 miles, the car failed to start at least twice. Another time it set off a large number of faults within the computer and messed with the settings and brake system.
Although the new car has a warranty, the response from multiple dealers has been that the manufacturer feels it necessary to have me change how I drive. Basically take the car out for a joyful ride of an hour each week. That is not time management or energy efficient. It definitely is not environmentally friendly. It is a stupid request on the manufactures part.

The other alternative suggested was to put a battery charger on the car if it was going to not be driven for more than a couple of days.
Say What?! This is not a plug in hybrid.
The operating system for the car does not do proper energy management and the battery capacity is too low.
It should recognize that the vehicle has not been used for (2 or 3) days or that the battery capacity is getting low and shut off the battery draining applications and lock the car.
Then the key inside the FOB can be used to open the door and reactivate the systems.
The response from dealers is: It's like a cell phone. You need to charge it (either drive or a tender) every couple of days.
I do not leave chargers left turned on. When charging, I open a front and rear garage door for air flow. I don't want fire or battery explosion.
So I do not use an overnight battery tender.
I do open the doors and charge it up from time to time. Yet I remain near the garage.

My better service manager did make one other recommendation.
"I know you need a very reliable car in case you decide to go to the hospital. Don't let the El Camino be down for repairs. It should start and get you there dependably, should the new one fail."

Here is the email they sent two days ago. Note that I redacted the company name, since this is becoming a problem for multiple manufactures.

===============================================================
We want your xxxxxxxxx in top shape after it's been parked for a long time.

Even if it hasn’t traveled much due to COVID-19, the computers inside your xxxxxxxx haven’t stopped. They store the data that helps create a smooth ride anytime you drive.

Those computers draw some power. A little power over time adds up to enough of a drain that your car may not start when you do eventually push the start button. And if you’re taking the car for short, 5-minute drives to recharge it, you may actually be depleting your battery further.

Every start pushes a weak battery closer to failing, which can lead to worse problems:
  • Unusual engine idling behavior
  • Strange transmission shifting
  • Loss of any driver-based settings
We’re offering a complimentary battery analysis.
Schedule yours now, and if your vehicle needs a new battery, we have xxxxxxxx Genuine batteries made precisely to give you the best performance.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I am trying to find out how to deactivate these systems from my newer primary car.

On the new car, it uses too much battery resources to keep these systems awake.
In the first 1,000 miles, the car failed to start at least twice. Another time it set off a large number of faults within the computer and messed with the settings and brake system.
Although the new car has a warranty, the response from multiple dealers has been that the manufacturer feels it necessary to have me change how I drive. Basically take the car out for a joyful ride of an hour each week. That is not time management or energy efficient. It definitely is not environmentally friendly. It is a stupid request on the manufactures part.

The other alternative suggested was to put a battery charger on the car if it was going to not be driven for more than a couple of days.
Say What?! This is not a plug in hybrid.
The operating system for the car does not do proper energy management and the battery capacity is too low.
It should recognize that the vehicle has not been used for (2 or 3) days or that the battery capacity is getting low and shut off the battery draining applications and lock the car.
Then the key inside the FOB can be used to open the door and reactivate the systems.
The response from dealers is: It's like a cell phone. You need to charge it (either drive or a tender) every couple of days.
I do not leave chargers left turned on. When charging, I open a front and rear door for air flow. I don't want fire or battery explosion.
So I do not use an overnight battery tender.
I do open the doors and charge it up from time to time. Yet I remain near the garage.

My better service manager did make one other recommendation.
"I know you need a very reliable car in case you decide to go to the hospital. Don't let the El Camino be down for repairs. It should start and get you there dependably, should the new one fail."

Here is the email they sent two days ago. Note that I redacted the company name, since this is becoming a problem for multiple manufactures.

===============================================================
We want your xxxxxxxxx in top shape after it's been parked for a long time.

Even if it hasn’t traveled much due to COVID-19, the computers inside your xxxxxxxx haven’t stopped. They store the data that helps create a smooth ride anytime you drive.

Those computers draw some power. A little power over time adds up to enough of a drain that your car may not start when you do eventually push the start button. And if you’re taking the car for short, 5-minute drives to recharge it, you may actually be depleting your battery further.

Every start pushes a weak battery closer to failing, which can lead to worse problems:
  • Unusual engine idling behavior
  • Strange transmission shifting
  • Loss of any driver-based settings
We’re offering a complimentary battery analysis.
Schedule yours now, and if your vehicle needs a new battery, we have xxxxxxxx Genuine batteries made precisely to give you the best performance.
A monument to my position! Thank you!

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the "Too many electronics thing, I am right there with you. I got my ASE Master before all this junk came about, Now its just change and hope.

The Standard / Automatic thing never dawned on me.. That's why I ask you guys.. I'm changing to a Rock crusher or hewland, I would NEVER EVER bypass a safety switch, but have known many who did. My last mercedes had the no key start. I loved it. I chose this particular system as it has minimal systems in it. I am not really an electric windows guy.

As for electrical. I am adding a quick disconnect system under the hood. Keep a batter charged on the wall. Tenders can be messy, and you cant jump in and go, but with this if you have prob your set. Take with you on a trip for emergencies too. It seems I am going to have to do some number crunching regarding electrical pull on standby.
713aeGML4yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
713aeGML4yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I get the "Too many electronics thing, I am right there with you. I got my ASE Master before all this junk came about, Now its just change and hope.

The Standard / Automatic thing never dawned on me.. That's why I ask you guys.. I'm changing to a Rock crusher or hewland, I would NEVER EVER bypass a safety switch, but have known many who did. My last mercedes had the no key start. I loved it. I chose this particular system as it has minimal systems in it. I am not really an electric windows guy.

As for electrical. I am adding a quick disconnect system under the hood. Keep a batter charged on the wall. Tenders can be messy, and you cant jump in and go, but with this if you have prob your set. Take with you on a trip for emergencies too. It seems I am going to have to do some number crunching regarding electrical pull on standby. View attachment 130948 View attachment 130948

View attachment 130948
Like I said, good luck and best wishes!

Joe

·
Registered
129 Posts
My wife's car is a 2012 Charger R/T, and has the full keyless package. Gotta say it's made her lazy about things. I used to have a 94 Suburban, I installed the full keyless with remote start, the things the directions tells you need to be taken with a grain of salt. Just to get the windows to work right took 4 seperate relays, 2 per side, gm's are ground activated, not power activated.

Never had an issue with the battery. The entire system uses less juice than a TV remote. The boxes themselves stay in a standby mode until you hit the keyless button, draws no more power than any regular keyless only entry with no other frills. @Old Bear ,if you are having issues, I'm doubting that's the root cause, the dome lights pull way more power. Now something like it causing the ignition to stay on constantly is a different story, but that's more to do with pushbutton starts and sticky buttons or bad relays allowing a constant drain.

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
I know about those dome light problems. It was the first fix I did on the El Camino. I also put a blue LED in that light. This helps alert me if the door did not fully close.

Regarding the new car: In addition to the reliability of starting problem, the weak battery, battery drain and three bullet pointed problems are all mentioned in the manufacturers communication that was copy/paste into the thread. Just having the FOB in close proximity to the car causes activation, like interior lights off and clicking of switches in the interior like locks. It takes no other action to call attention, which leads me to agree with the manufacturer that the OS is constantly using power to check what is in the environment.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's true. It's not unlike a cell phone with location and wifi and Bluetooth enabled does searches constantly, and yet if you stay off the internet, that tiny 1500mAhr battery will last all day. If that cellphone had a car battery, it should last weeks, if not months.

My wife constantly leaves her fob in the car, like I said, all that quick and easy automation has made her lazy, so most times she'll swipe my fob instead, and still no side effects even if the car isn't moved all week.

I'm just of the opinion that the manufacturers are only telling half the story, just enough to cover their ####'s with such a broad announcement, or maybe scare buyers enough to take the vehicle to authorized installers/retailers in attempt to sidestep warranty issues.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Old Bear I feel your pain. We went through that same thing years ago with a pickup my wife drove. The dealer changed the battery and checked everything. If she did not drive it after a few days it would not start. We fought about her leaving dome lights on and other things with the dealer. One day by accident (get this) I was putting the new registration in the glove box and pushed on the plunger to turn off the light. You guessed it. I took the bulb out.
Tom

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I see nothing but trouble but I'm an electrician.. lol

love how my 69 Elco only has Oil pressure, Water temperature and Alternator indicator lights... Only thing to concentrate on is the wonderful handling from the modern suspension I installed and the brute torque of the 454.. I wish I had the sweeping speedo but since my car is a SS396 it has to little round gauges you really cant see..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeap. I'm an electrician too. Did some pro audio years ago and still build custom pcs, so it's easy to let the imagination go in wierd directions, when usually it's something astronomically simple as the switch in the glove box not turning off the bulb...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I guess I’m an old fart (I first drove my Camino as a ‘learner’ when it was new, I sat with my dad when he ordered it) but I like the older simpler cars to stay that way. I like the two knob radio, the lack of ‘nanny’ features like seatbelt chimes and cranking it with a key. But you do what makes you happy-that’s what makes the hobby interesting.
Patrick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts