El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got the new kick down cable for Carlos, and neither one of us can figure out where it's supposed to hook to the tranny!! There's so much crap up under my car it's sickening---headers, tranny cooling lines, cables, wires, I wouldn't be surprised to find a family of Gnomes living up under there! If anyone can point me in the general direction of where this thing is supposed to connect to the tranny it sure would be appreciated...just give me a hint ...passenger side? driver side? bottom? top of tranny?
I've got the top end next to the Q-jet figured out--no problem, but sure can't figure out where it goes at the other end.
350 w/ 350 tranny if that makes any difference.
Thanks ahead of time, because I KNOW one of you KNOW where it goes.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..If you got a th350,well,then you got to pull the pan to disconect the cable that running down inside the tranny (4 & 5)..:dontknow:

:beer:

Attachments

·
6,292 Posts
..Oh,come on now,its not that hard,if you don't mind getting a bit oily.get 4 qt of tranny fluid a pan gasket,and get Texascornbread under it and have him remove the pan bolts for ya..:poke::beer:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're about ready to give up on this project! It's over 100* outside, and we're both ready to murder one another over this! Between he and I arguing with each other, the heat, the dirt, the Fire Ants, and my lack of patience, this does not look like a job we're going to complete without one of us going to jail! :poke:

·
6,292 Posts
We're about ready to give up on this project! It's over 100* outside, and we're both ready to murder one another over this! Between he and I arguing with each other, the heat, the dirt, the Fire Ants, and my lack of patience, this does not look like a job we're going to complete without one of us going to jail! :poke:
..Oh,Snap,Didn't see that come'in,Wait til night,it will be cooler,can't help ya on the rest..Dirt,Fire ants and Patience..! :poke:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

That's what I said when I found the plug was where my leak was. Hay 4-qt's is more than you think make sure you have a huge pan under then loosen the bolts at the back end of the tranny. working your way back as the oil starts dripping. No use wearing gloves your going to get wet no matter how careful you are.:texas:

PS THAT'S WHAT SONS ARE FOR.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
The cable can be changed without dropping the pan but for the doing it the first time it will probably be quicker to just drop it. A lot of it has to be done by feel with it in the car and the pan on. Once you have done it and see how it is set up - -- - Oh, well maybe next time. Hit it early in the morning before the ants wake up Mr. sunshine.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's on the passenger side of the transmission, just behind the dipstick. It's an odd connection, if I remember correctly.

I bought a cast aluminum pan from Amazon. It cools some, has a bigger capacity, has a sturdier edge (stopped a leak I could NOT find), and it has a drain plug.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just did mine today.The only thing the tranny was out of the car and on a jack. The car was on a lift and we jacked up the tranny and set it in place. it was a perfect 76 degrees with no insects. If I was in your situation with the 100 degrees and bugs I would of just paid someone to do it for me.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you ALL! :beer:
I guess the plan is to start in on it again, bright and early in the morning! We won't be defeated by this thing! Now we're on a mission to get it done without paying someone to do it!!
Will post pics and updates after completion! Cross your fingers for us! :nanawrench:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good luck. I just don't have the patience when stuff doesn't work out right.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hey terry its held in by a lil bolt and it pulls out. use a pair of needle nose to hold the metal tang it goes into, ya kinda gotts twist and tilt it a lil bit look at the new one you will see how it hooks up
good luck:beer:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey terry its held in by a lil bolt and it pulls out. use a pair of needle nose to hold the metal tang it goes into, ya kinda gotts twist and tilt it a lil bit look at the new one you will see how it hooks up
good luck:beer:
Thanks Woody!
Ralph, and Brandon both explained it so Jim is pretty sure he can do it! :nanawrench:
I think Jim has Brandon on speed dial or something! :secret:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hmmmm i thought carlos had a date at woodys garage last weekend???:poke::beer::secret:

·
0 Posts
Thanks Woody!
Ralph, and Brandon both explained it so Jim is pretty sure he can do it! :nanawrench:
I think Jim has Brandon on speed dial or something! :secret:
Lol. Its gonna be easy once you see how the old one is on there...Take your time and remember,its better to do it right once than wrong many times. Now I feel like I need to turn some wrenches since you and Donny are working this weekend.:poke:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmmmm i thought carlos had a date at woodys garage last weekend???:poke::beer::secret:
Sorry! It wasn't worth driving all that way to have you waste your day off doing something Jim can do himself, and he ended up getting a whole 3 day weekend this week!
We'll be seeing you on the 8th though! I'll be that little mouse that will be smokin' the tires at every chance! :poke:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts