El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a few manuals but none show how to remove the kick panels. They are brittle and i don't want to just pry at them with a screwdriver. All other trim & carpet is already removed. They seem to loose around the edges but secured to the vent itself. The vent knob is also still in place.

First of many posts...

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Home made?

Saw these...if yours are not savable! Just some board, color matched vinyl or? foam pad and cut holes! Basic upholstery skills found online. Not sure on removal. :cool4:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I know that kickpanels with A/C will be different than without A/C. My 72 A/C car has 2 screws AND then it also had a thick non-hardening adhesive (similar to 3M strip caulk). Once screws were out, I had to pull steadily on the panel to slowly release the adhesive. That is my experience, don't know for sure how that relates to your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kick Panel

Thanks for the information. Rick, yours is the best lead I've had so far. The knob and cable that go through the panel are hooked to the vent. Does the cable just get unhooked from the vent after the panel is removed?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Don't think I can help you. My 72 with A/C does not have a vent or cable pull on the kick panels. A non A/C is different and I don't have a clue how the vent comes out. The vent may be sealed to the inner metal with the same type of sticky goo. I'd try pulling steadily and firmly on the vent to see if it begins to pull away. Especially if you can't see any other screws holding it in place. Good luck

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Hello, I have a few manuals but none show how to remove the kick panels. They are brittle and i don't want to just pry at them with a screwdriver. All other trim & carpet is already removed. They seem to loose around the edges but secured to the vent itself. The vent knob is also still in place.

First of many posts...
Here's something good to have a complete PDF on your truck. Just download the first link.

https://www.google.com/#q=1968+EL+CAMINO++PDF

·
Registered
211 Posts
For future reference. The 68-69 should be the same. The vent / cable / knob are all part of the kick panel. Like mentioned above, if you are sure that you have removed all the visible screws, then the only thing stoping the removal is the sticky goop that was used to seal the "vent" area to the body. Unless someone can say differently, you have to remove the e-brake to get the panel out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct sir. What I was missing is that the vent grills pry out and there are screws behind the grills. After that, its only the factory goop. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts