El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
0 Posts
Below rear shelf would sound better especially if you want to block out the bed rattle but the kick panel would definitely last longer, since they cant rattle anywhere. GET BOTH!!!!:nanawrench:

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
If you use your E-Brake you run the risk of damaging the kick panel speakers. The rear shelf system is up higher and closer to your ears as opposed to down on the floor. It really is a matter of which ones you think sound better.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
They were mounted with 4 screws in the corners and then a couple of small block of stryfoam between trhe curatin and back wall to prevent vibration.

The spare is behind the curtain

·
Registered
543 Posts
I bought them thru the EL Camino store. As I recall they are made by Custom Auto Sound, and were originally intended for Corvettes, but they seem to fit well in the El Camino (the center piece is cut to legnth to get the right width).

·
Registered
543 Posts
the curtain just lifts from the bottom (it's why there are velcro strips instead of smaps at the bottom/sides of the curtain).

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I made kick panel speaker pods for my 1972 Chevrolet truck years ago and had to scrounge up a complete hand brake setup from a 67-68 truck. I got a used foot pedal to try and modify but never could get it to work without sticking too far over toward the clutch pedal. I really like Mike's setup across the back. Here is a link to a different rear type of panel that sits across the hump in the rear that might work for your earlier vehicle.
http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/p/DM09182_l.jpg
Craig

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello...sorry about intruding..have a question. First of all I like the look of the below the window speakers, but is there an option to put your own 6x9's ? I just bought some 300 watt JBL's I wanna use. Also where can I get the curtain from ? And kicker panels for 6 1/2 JBL's. I wanna use both, I never use my E Brake.. thanks in advance :nanawrench:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Like The Idea, Hate The Price.

i don't like either
this is the way to go...they have them for 1 or 2 speakers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172073962955?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Cost to much. Elcamino Store now has surface mount speakers to mount on the 5th gen door panel. They look nice & can be painted to match your color, starting @ 152.00, 3 to choose from to fit those door panels. By the time you buy you pay 246.00 for those panels and the cost for a good set of speaker, you can easly have 350 to 400 dollars. To much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i don't like either
this is the way to go...they have them for 1 or 2 speakers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172073962955?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
This is what I chose to do on mine, as well. I'm an Alpine guy; I have 6 1/2" coaxials fwd, 6 1/2" component woofers back, with the tweeters mounted in the original locations in the dash. This way the highs come from above and below up front, solid midrange from the doors, and I've got a 10" enclosed JL Audio sub in the back where the spare used to be. MRX-V70 amp on the floor behind the passenger seat.

I've been very happy with this set-up; it keeps the speakers away from your feet (once you're inside) and the sound is balanced. I've got size 14 shoes; I was always a little leery of those kickpanel systems, myself. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cost to much. Elcamino Store now has surface mount speakers to mount on the 5th gen door panel. They look nice & can be painted to match your color, starting @ 152.00, 3 to choose from to fit those door panels. By the time you buy you pay 246.00 for those panels and the cost for a good set of speaker, you can easly have 350 to 400 dollars. To much!
how about posting a link to those???
i guess that too much money is a matter of opinion.
i have had stereos in my cars that cost me 3 to 5k and i do my own work so that is the cost of the equipment.
i will have WELL over 1000 in my elcko radio with out blinking a eye.
if you went to a shop and paid to have it done it would cost over 400.
i think the lower door panels are a good deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts