El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading about drivetrain vibration w/ interest. since my 200 test miles the Elky has had a vibration in drivetrain that seems to go away when clutch is depressed. Today I took my driveshaft to Springfield, Mo. to be checked out by Power Train Industries. you see I had a local machinist built my new driveshaft. since he seem knowledgeable and suppose to be a chip off the old block, his Dad (who had a hell of a good rep here in Mtn.Hm and retired.) Anyway I said to myself have the driveshaft checked because there are no weights welded on it and he said he balanced it. Well I brought it in by 7:30 and by 8:30 Rick called me in and they started spinning driveshaft on machine. You could actually see with my own eyes this thing wobbling. The tech ran gauge from one end to other and it was 30 to 45 degrees out of round. The Owner Bob came in and they all agreed it was the wrong material and only 2-1/4 inch dia. the shaft for my 454 w /m22 should be 3" minimum dia. These Gentlemen are gonna built me the correct shaft and I'll have it by friday. The owner said I was very lucky. Had I taken this vehicle up passed 75mph to 100 mph the shaft may have come up and slapped me upside my head. Thats when I called it a "kill stick". I do not know what we have to do nowadays to trust someone or some business's. I have had so many /parts, pcs from every source turn up bad that I am sick of this whole built. now that it's done its nitpicking me to no end. taiwan tower hose clamps that fail constantly, wrong switches put in to get a job done bad vendors bad machinist etc etc. I know I am not alone but finding good parts and Honest people is a bitch. The only groups of people I do trust is onthis forum because I know they have seen the same problems and put forth good advice. Man if we could only get together and make some quality made in USA parts we would have it made.
Let this be another warning to people about driveshafts and ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR HEART.
Be safe and thanks to everyone and folks @ Power Train Industries. They have a large picture of Joe Elmore & Chuck Hansen on wall (trivia)
Tony

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Finding a good mechanic/shop is nice. Finding one you can TRUST to do the job right from the gitgo is GREAT! I don't even bargain the labor rate with my usual mechanics.

just had an alignment done today (at a shop that knows me from my auto-parts job) after I installed tie-rods, shocks, and struts. wheel clocked at 1 o'clock, and pulls left when straight, had to take it back immediately. tested it an hour later, still not acceptable. told them I was taking it back to their other location who got it right the first time 3 months ago pre-maintenance, they said they'd give it one last shot tomorrow morning. we'll see.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know, if they can't do the first redo right.... I think that I would just go ahead to the other location that you know does good work.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
first they did a drive test, then re-aligned, it pulled left. they aligned a 4th time, it still pulled left. (this is a FWD car)
out of desperation, they swapped front tires, it pulled RIGHT.
they swapped tires front to back, it drove fairly straight. re-aligned a 5th time.... as close to perfect as you can get when you're paying someone else to do the work. still has a very slight drift to the left but is a lot better.

at least now when I give the car to the teenager after she passes her driving test, I don't have to worry about hands slipping off the steering wheel and the car deciding to drive into the curb/ditch within a 100 ft

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first they did a drive test, then re-aligned, it pulled left. they aligned a 4th time, it still pulled left. (this is a FWD car)
out of desperation, they swapped front tires, it pulled RIGHT.
they swapped tires front to back, it drove fairly straight. re-aligned a 5th time.... as close to perfect as you can get when you're paying someone else to do the work. still has a very slight drift to the left but is a lot better.

at least now when I give the car to the teenager after she passes her driving test, I don't have to worry about hands slipping off the steering wheel and the car deciding to drive into the curb/ditch within a 100 ft
Today I took delivery of New Driveshaft a Safe and proper stick. No more 2-1/4 shaft this one is 3.5" & .083 wall and fully balanced. Done right by professionals. If this does not take care of my vibration nothing will. This driveshaft should be plenty strong for my set up. all this and a reasonable price. Anyone near Springfield , Mo Look up Powertrain industries 417-863-0606.
100_6447.JPG
thanks Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts