El Camino Central Forum banner

Kill switch??

10K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Brian Boru 
#1 ·
I am TRYING to install a kill switch on my 84 camino. If any of you dont know, a kill switch takes your ignition fuse and pulls it according to whether you have flipped a swtich or not. Making the car inoperable. The problem is I cant find the ignition fuse! can anybody help me? I have pulled just about everyone of them. is there some secret combinaiton?

thanks-
Luke

#3 ·
If you have an original 84 and you disconnect the feed to the computer, you'll erase the "learned" memory the computer stores for proper engine performance. I have installed a kill switch on several of my vehicles in the past for theft deterent purposes. You have to locate the "keep alive" wire that feeds twelve volts to the computer at all times. On the vehicle I'm building now the wire was a blue color. For safety purposes, I installed an in-line 15 amp fuse when I relocated the wire. On most GM vehicles the wire is usually a fuseable link type located at the large starter post. I have also found the wire located on a post attached to the fire wall near the brake booster on some trucks. The best thing you could do is locate a wiring diagram for your vehicle.

Anyways, if you put a kill switch in, you should extend the "keep alive" wire to the hot side of the kill switch to prevent the computer from loosing it's learned memory. Good luck, but if you need more help, please email me.

#4 ·
Yeaaahh... kinda lost me there. I wish I knew more about electronics. I might give ya an email. But doing it from the battery on the distributor seems alot easier of a process for the same result. The funny part is I think I have pulled the ECM fuse and the camino fired right up, it is sad, I cant make her not start. I guess its good in a way. Can anyone explain how to put in the killswitch through the distributor? Thanks a bunch.

-Luke

#5 ·
find batt wire to dist. cut wire a few inches from the end run 1 end to 1 side of the switch and the other to the other side. use solider and heat shrink on your connections to prevent corrosion. also put a fuse in on the harness side where you cut the dist. wire. you can get a ATO inline fuse holder at most part stores a 10 amp fuse should be sufficent.

#9 ·
My 84 is electric. Anyway running the wires is more or less your choice, try to find an entry point through the firewall that will protect the wires from chaffing and shorting out due to vibration. Pick a spot for the switch that is easy to get to but yet not visable. Only let the people who drive your Elky know its location...remember it's a theft deterrent. "Loose lips sink ships"...I once had my stereo ripped off by a so called friend!

#11 ·
ether way works,,the power is at the front and the ground is usually back at the pump..
i would use a relay to switch the hot to the pump or ignition on a efi motor..
if you allready have a relay on the pump just tap into the hot or neg for the relay trigger..

but if your running a carb. the car wiil still start and run on the fuel in the bowl,,
it would be better to kill the ignition and maybe the starter or both..:texas:

#12 ·
For the kill switch, you can get an old style Floor Dimmer Switch, and mount it under the carpet in a location of your choice. On and off can be done by a tap of your foot without anyone really knowing there is a switch.

#13 · (Edited)
Under the dash right above the plug for getting you codes is a brace with two holes big enough to put a toggle switch or push-pull. Use the bottom hole,One thing on a 15 amp switch they have two different hole sizes get the smaller one and it fits perfect.If you use a club on the break pedal you can do this all in one motion and it doesn't look like your turning the switch on or off when sitting in the seat. Also you need to take the panel off under the steering wheel to install the switch and once you put the panel back you cant see the switch only by feel.

#14 ·
Recently, I was in a ElC that had the solenoid engage wire routed through the cigarette lighter. Since the lighter is mounted in a plastic panel and only grounded through a wire the lighter was disconnected from the stock wiring then spliced into the start wire. Unless the lighter is pushed in the motor will not turn over. Take the lighter out an take it with you and the thief has another layer to defeat to take your ride.

DanK.

#15 ·
Thats the best one yet!!!!!!!:You_Rock::secret::secret:

#16 ·
I put a old style dimmer under carpet also i spliced into the starter wire. i took the large wire coming off of the starter cylinoide spliced into it and ran two heavy gauge wires into truck conected them to dimmer switch onetap of foot and starter is dead. they have to know about the dimmer or get under truck and find out about the magic trick after you start truck you can tap switch or tap it before you get out . i find that tapping switch right truck is started works good then i don,t have to remember to kill it of when i get out. it just becomes a habit.

#18 ·
I used a push/pull switch. With the switch off you cant start the truck. With the switch on of course you can start the truck but if you turn the switch off with the engine running and turn the key off the engine keeps running until you switch it back on and turn the key off. Never mind i get it you went to the starter im through the key. :banghead::withstupid::alcoholic::brainfart:

I'm going with the cigarette lighter.Who's going to figure that one out.

#21 · (Edited)
you can also tap into ignition wire at bottom of steering column
Thats where i'm taped into. It should work the same trough the lighter right? one wire in one out. But if you push the lighter in wont it heat up and pop out to light a cig. or does the lighter just need to be in the socket to start the engine and when you pull it out you cant start the engine? Don't want to start blowing fuses.

#23 ·
That makes sense. If i could figure out a way to market it like everything else people would buy it. You cant advertise on t.v.. Where wouldn't car thieves see it advertised?:poke:
Thanks

#24 ·
Depending on your level paranoia and the effort your willing to go to. This might be a solution. Get one of these military type of bulkhead connectors

Pick some functions that would disable the car like start solenoid, 12V distributor lead, and if you have one electric fuel pump lead and wire them thru some combination of connectors in the bulk head connector then wire the pins together in the plug that will complete the circuits so when the plug is installed your ride functions but with the plug removed a number of circuits are broken that disable the vehicle. To me, you would want to wire all the connectors in the bulkhead portion with the same color wire and make it appear that all the wires are in use. Then if a thief were to attempt to steal your ride he'd need a flatbed wrecker if the plug is removed from the vehicle.

What do you think?
DanK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.