El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I put the first 15 miles on Killer today. Runs perfect except it is running pretty rich, Between 10 and 8 on the AFR gauge. I know I need to lean it out but what is the process for adjusting the dual carbs.

I’m thinking I’d start with the rear one and get the lean idle mixture good then to the front carb just not sure which way to go, or how to proceed.

this is way to much fun, and jaw dropping looks I got were priceless

·
Registered
774 Posts
First I have to make assumptions. I'll assume the carbs are identical and well balanced to start, and that you are running tandem linkage as opposed to progressive. If those are correct, I adjust them at the same time, looking down them for even spray on acceleration. There is really no trick to it, just small adjustments and remember where the benchmark was. Glad to hear it is on the road!!

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have definitely had some issues in the first 60 miles? Guess I hurt the tranny (maybe) somehow was 2qts low when hot, may have burnt the cruise clutch. I get to pull it out so my tranny guy can bench test it, ( needs to adjust the governor away since it just shifts way to late in all gears)

Rear carb was leaking fuel, had to rebuild the carb only took a couple hours.

The interior is almost done with some minor things to finish.

Runs great just need to have a pro tune it on the chassis dyno, don’t know if that will get done before the 60th

·
Administrator
7,008 Posts
Raiding the BUGS!

I'm glad you have the 7 remaining weeks to take the RAID can to the remaining bugs, Josh. Looks like things are progressing about normally for an extensive rebuild and restoration. Maybe even less than normal - but Killer is a weapon! Just make sure it's always guided ----- towards Arlington......................Ken

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you have the 7 remaining weeks to take the RAID can to the remaining bugs, Josh. Looks like things are progressing about normally for an extensive rebuild and restoration. Maybe even less than normal - but Killer is a weapon! Just make sure it's always guided ----- towards Arlington......................Ken
There’s no way I’m backing out of the 60th have no fear Killer will be there 100% mostly done and running well either way. The looks on ppls faces and watching ppl trying to get there phones ready for a picture is priceless

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I know it feel good to have it back on the road & looking good. Unless you could actually feel the transmission slipping, then hopefully it's ok. It wouldn't be a hot rod without a few issues to overcome. Since you've come this far, I'm sure you'll make it.

Get used to getting looks, at least from anyone that has a heartbeat.

·
Senior Member Site Supporter
340 Posts
AND now,, what weds, night will it be ready for PIR?:banana: Went to the Wings and Wheels in Canby this last Sat. nice lil local show and great cars. Us and one other Elky there.
Great to hear it IS running!!!:hail2:

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the tranny out today only took me 2-3 hours, with the help of a tranny Jack, probably won’t get the tranny until next week, I’m running out of time for the PIR on weds but I’ll let you know when I know.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Like jl said get used to getting looks, and also hearing guys say "I had an El Camino once.....":thumbup:

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my tranny guy was correct on the burnt cruise clutch along with a semi burnt band. I should have the tranny back next week. plus they will adjust the governor shift points to be sooner, they are also upgrading the electric pig tail to a single prong, ( from a TH400 I believe), so just a 1 wire clean connection for the lockup and they will weld a temp bung in the pan for me so my trans gauge should work a little better. bought a painless brake switch $12 to control the lockup the switch has a NO and NC contact no mods needed.

hopefully I have time next week to put the tranny back in.

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been awhile since I posted, but Killer has been seen roaming the streets.
Got the 28x13.5x15 on the rear , 26x12x15 on the front today, I’ll adjust the ride height need to bring back down to earth.

plus I got the rear cover on, just don’t have all the bugs of that worked out.

asked the local GM performance guy to schedule my tuning for August.

Attachments

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Enjoy

AB52B533-391A-4D1D-A00E-7092F203F0CD.jpeg
32A34022-DAB9-41A5-9102-03BB107B7139.jpeg
8246D676-6007-4E38-8D44-A755344EFBBC.jpeg

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys, i'll have some more pics down the road

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Been awhile since I posted, but Killer has been seen roaming the streets.
Got the 28x13.5x15 on the rear , 26x12x15 on the front today, I’ll adjust the ride height need to bring back down to earth.

plus I got the rear cover on, just don’t have all the bugs of that worked out.

asked the local GM performance guy to schedule my tuning for August.

you need to charge Elon royalties for stealing the styling cues from you for his cybertruck

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you need to charge Elon royalties for stealing the styling cues from you for his cybertruck
😂😂😂 I cant decide if that’s a compliment or not.😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
well, you can have the compliments or you can have those puke-ugly :poop:'s being built in your backyard, since they have selected Austin TX as their new factory location, which means we'll probably be seeing more than a few of them around here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts