El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well I decided to send Killer off to the body shop.

its been 3 months or so and (*^(*^(^& of money, but you only live once right.

·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
shaved tailgate hinges

looking to delete the tailgate hinges, only seen 1 picture of this done on the Overhaulin Surfer Kid 77 build but they don't show or talk about doing it. doing all this work I might as well make it look symmetrical

thinking about using some sort of hatch back hinge like this

any thoughts on how to get this done properly would be appreciated

·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaved tailgate handle

I modified the factory tailgate handle to be on the inside. works perfect.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Killer looks to have some sort of growth issue coming out of the hood wearing a poncho. What color will she be when she returns? looks like some good body work.

·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I'm trying my hardest to devise a plan to eliminate the tailgate hinges stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
delete tailgate hinges (hidden)

so I have completed the tailgate hinge issue using the factory parts.

really wasn't to difficult had it done in about 5 hours still little things to do

with tailgate closed, I marked on the bracket where I would re drill a new hole, then I removed the tailgate and closed the bracket drilled the holes and cut of the excess metal picture shows a bolt 1/4" in the bracket for mach up, I will use a 1/4 by 1-1/8 SS pin with a cotter when done.

this lip had to be removed to allow the tailgate to swing down. I may just French the piece back in or just a flat piece of steel to shore it up.

this lower lip had to be beat down,( good old hammer) until the bottom of the tailgate would clear with adequate clearance 1/16" you can see how it needed to curve down.

more grinding will need to be done to the bracket, to allow a piece of metal to fill the tailgate holes. and I will need to make or modify the tailgate cables (needs to be shorter now)

but it was a perfect solution.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Nice!

Lookin' good, Josh! What's the color going to be? I'm considering a special edition calendar for next year for the Pro-stocks, or just "Hot Rods of the NECOA". I found the El Camino below at our Houston meeting earlier this year. Anyone have comments on the possible special edition calendar?...............Ken

Attachments

·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, I believe the color we are going for is the 2015 shark metallic gray, corvette color, as long as the spray out looks good.

Ken a Hot Rod calendar would be cool, I'll be ready for that next year.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
At first I was wondering why you were going through the trouble of deleting tailgate hinges. I either hadn't really noticed before OR more likely forgot that the pivet point stuck out past the tailgate skin. I still haven't decided on a final hinge design to make my 2016 vette rear into a tailgate , which has a huge curvature to it & a thicker depth. It would be simple to have the pivot point sticking out, but can't have that either.
Think the vette shark grey could work for you.
https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384657
6th gen camaro nightfall grey is another good choice. Pretty sure it is slightly darker, which could be a better look for yours. Just an opinion only.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10278243#post10278243

My front nose is this color where untouched, next to the black hood, for comparison..
20170212_160848 by joe leleux, on Flickr

·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
49 Posts
All the work & $ will be worth it. Looking good

Where did you relocate gas fill to, since in picture it is no longer on drivers side.
Did you use a pop up unit in relocation?

Howie 75

1 - 20 of 76 Posts