El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a k/k tach, I googled and see where to mount in original spot, but I need to know where to connect wires. The ends of the wires have been cut. I believe the wires are grey, brown, and black, not sure, I don't have it at the moment(at work!). Any help on elect. install is appreciated. Also, what is a fair price for these? I saw 3 on ebay $99, $350, $1000(nos). Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!!!!:beer:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I thought about putting one in mine, but i feel it will be more anoying, and to go the orignal look i will have to look down, its not like they have a big red light to glow. and anymore aftermarket ones are cheaper and you cant tell the diffrence. but as far as the wires There should be brown (coil) black with pink stripe (12 volt ignition) then gray (lamp). if all else fail's open the back to verify were the wires go. but yes, they are pricy, esp if you by NOS. hope this helps:nanawrench:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it for a fair price, and like the original look. Can u use these with an hei?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Not an OEM tach --- unless you use a filter.

I have a repro tach in my 66 and it works fine with HEI.

Sometimes the tach does not want to start up-----but a tap on the side gets it going.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be a good price for this ?? I hope I didn't get hose. I opened the back, all the part numbers match, etc. it's in good condition, not perfect, but great for a driver, i haven't even polished it yet.
I also looked under my dash and I don't have the two holes to mount it, which seems weird to me, so I guess I will have to take out the ol drill!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
This tach mounts in a very specific area on the dash.
Need to be able to open the ash tray and clear the steering column as well.

Give me some time and I will locate a pattern for drilling

Black wire with pink stripe is to be connected to a keyed ignition source
Brown wire is signal wire-----connects to coil -
Grey wire is for the lamp----need to tap into the dash lamp fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts