El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 68 is recieving a rebult performance 327 this summer (im doin it my self) and the 2 spd isnt as quick or robust as id like it to be. the 350 donor engine (stock rebuild to keep the car on the road) has already got the tranny knocking in park and neutral (!? that could be the answer right there yes?). the 327 is the #s matching engine if you were wondering why i would step the cu.in.s down. 327 will have less than 350 hp. what do rebuilt TH350 or TH400 trannys go for? thanks.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Rebuilt TH350s, installed, usually go for $600-$800 in Chattanooga.

TH700R-4s, because of the extra pieces required (computer control, possible different kickdown switch, etc.) usually go for $800-$1000 (installed) in Chattanooga.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
If looking for something to stick behind a nicely built 327, check out a TCI Streetfighter trans priced around $800 for a 350THD + shipping. I'd also recommend a new torque converter to go along with it! Check out Summit Racing. They would look great under your Christmas Tree wouldn't they?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Avoid B&M, their stuff is garbage. and avoid summit converters. Definitly go with a 350 if you plan on using a 327, they're not torque motors, they like the revvs. Try to find a competent transshop near you, you can have all sorts of problems ordering transmission from online, if it leaks, doesn't work, stuff like that, no one can check it out.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I don't care for B&M either. TCI is suppose to be pretty good converters from what I have been told.

I would suggest a 700R4. Better gear ratios, it is stronger off the dock than a 350 / 350c. It has an overdrive so you can have a good cruiser and you can put up to a 4.10:1 gear set in the truck and still cruise well.

Its just an opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
that knock in park and neutral can be traced to a crack in the covertor or a sloppy pump.use caution when just changin parts,but if you to the 700r4 is a good freeway friendly choice with the additional two gears,or 1 plus OD.you can run Od off a throttle switch or manual switch.Also jegs offers a good changeover kit for about $65.As for your 327 to 350 change,matched heads and cam could realy make the difference.your glide tranny matches well to your 3.08 rear end,If you go with a 700r4,My recomindation is alter your ratio to 4.11 or at least 3.88.Got any 68-69 parts to trade or sell? Peace MAYN!!!

D

·
0 Posts
700 R4 in 79 Choo Choo conversion

I have a TCI 700-R4 installed with their 2600 stall converter. It works out great w/t my 375 horse 350. I also used their non computer kit.. LUV IT!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts