El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've removed the computer controlled carb and gone to a vacuum advance HEI distributor, so a number of formerly computer controlled functions are no longer relevant. My question is whether or not the knock sensor is still doing anything; the internet tells me that the knock sensor is supposed to retard the timing when it senses knocking so that the engine isn't damaged; originally the timing curve was controlled by the OEM computer controlled distributor. Without that, seems to me the knock sensor's messages to the ECM no longer have any place to go, right?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JJLT1. So, back when stock engines were using regular HEI vac advance distributors, was the knock sensor even a thing? Was there some other method that was used?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Knock sensors were only used on computer/ECM controlled cars,
it was called EST or ESC electronic spark timing or elec spark control..
that's the 3"x4", 5-6wire control box on the pass side inner fender
with the MAP sensor and relays..
back in the olden days you used your ears, if you hear knock
back-off on the timing 2-3* at a time,,
at that RPM / engine load / fuel quality..
they do sell a aftermarket knock sensor now days,
it works with some distributor/timing systems, or controls a warning light on the dash..

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
"they do sell a aftermarket knock sensor now days,
it works with some distributor/timing systems, or controls a warning light on the dash".

That would be nice to have..

I little part throttle ping is okay, my 83 Olds 307 V-8 did that for 120,000 miles. But the full throttle ping or engine run on will brake things..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts